1890 Martin restoration

robbie o'brien

1890 Martin restoration

Post by robbie o'brien »

I recently had an old Martin guitar come into the shop for some work. With John's help we were able to determine that this is a model 2 from 1890. It was string with steel strings which is way to much tension for this little guy. Maybe that is why the left part of the x brace was completely broken in half. Someone has tried to repair it but improperly. With John's help we determined that to do it right the back needed to be removed so that we could get inside the guitar. The bindings, tuner knobs, heel and end caps and rosette rings are ivory. The bridge pins appear to be plastic. The back and sides are Brazilian rosewood and the top spruce. On a scale of 1 to 10 the pucker factor was a good solid 12 as I removed the back. It took me at least 2 hours to remove it. Care was taken to keep the ivory bindings and the dark/light back purflings veneers intact. Now tht the back is off I can get into the restoration of the braces.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robbie o'brien

Re: 1890 Martin restoration

Post by robbie o'brien »

more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robbie o'brien

Post by robbie o'brien »

still more pics
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I will follow this with interest , getting these apart is the only way to do the right. This will be an educational thread for sure.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Thanks for these pics Robbie. Valuable for learning!
Slacker......
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Robbie, I asked this question on your forum as well but i think folks here would be interested as well. Do you know when and who installed the popsicle brace? Upon closer examination it appears the were some cracks along the fingerboard edge of the top. I didn't think that brace came into being until around 1940 with the Martin D's.
Tim Benware
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

This is very cool. What a treasure Robbie. I take it is for a client, not for you?

Kevin
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

The Popsicle Brace started in the 1939 to 1940 range. it was added because of a change in the neck block. Pre 1939 the neck block was heavier at 1 9/16 in thick after 39 the block was 1 3/8 in and this caused the top to fail at the neck block. The Popsicle brace was added to help with this shearing force.
Also the transverse brace was changed from 3/9 wide 3/4 high to the 1/2 by 5/8.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com