How to WIDEN a neck? I need a reality check

OverThere

How to WIDEN a neck? I need a reality check

Post by OverThere »

I have a fine Gurian Jumbo acoustic purchased in 1977. An amazing guitar in many respects, but the neck at 1-5/8" has always been too narrow for me. In recent years, it seems all the more narrow...

The neck is mahogany with ebony fret board. I've wondered many times whether the neck could be widened to accommodate a 1-7/8" or 2" nut width. I imagine the process as follows:

1. Remove the neck

2. Remove the frets

3. (somehow) Create a perfectly flat glue surface on both sides of the neck. This could be done on a jointer, except that the headstock is entirely in the way...

4. Glue a strip of ebony to each of the two flattened (as if jointed) neck edges

5. Sand the face of the ebony-strip additions to match the orignal fret board radius

6. Sand the sides and backs of the ebony strips to blend with the original mahogany neck profile

7. Recut the fret slots

8. Refret with stainless steel this time (to avoid capo-induced fret wear)

IF something like this will work, I'd be willing to try a test run on an inexpensive electric guitar - maple neck with rosewood fretboard.

Is it possible?
Is it possible, but only by a very experienced luthier?
Is it just a pipe dream?

Thanks
B. Howard

Re: How to WIDEN a neck? I need a reality check

Post by B. Howard »

You not only need to add onto the FB edges but the sides of the shaft as well to create a comfortable playing neck. Would likely be easier to simply make a new neck. Existing headstock could be grafted onto it.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
OverThere

Re: How to WIDEN a neck? I need a reality check

Post by OverThere »

Thanks Brian and Runningdog ==

You make good points. Just to be clear, I was not suggesting to widen only the fret board. I've been imagining a pair of larger, deeper ebony strips (deeper, measured from face to back of neck) because I know the overall contour of the neck must be accommodated. In my mad scheme, viewing either side of the neck would show little or no mahogany. From the side, it would appear to be a neck made of ebony(!) - each strip narrowing/diminishing as it nears the body.

And I would set into that new ebony side some LARGE, WHITE edge fret markers. The contrast between ebony and white would be...er..."highly visible" :mrgreen:

I would LOVE to have a new neck, but can't find a local luthier...and don't know how to vet a long-distance luthier to figure who is REALLY up to the job.

Thanks for pointing out the pinned neck/body joint. In fact, I stumbled upon a website describing that fact only a few months ago (I had no idea, for decades!) Afterward, while changing strings I looked up inside and...sure enough! Two ebony pins looking back at me! :mrgreen:

I'm THRILLED to learn how simple it is to remove the Gurian neck (relatively simple compared to glued dove-tailed set necks). Of course, the Gurian fretboard heel is glued to the spruce top, and some nasty problems can occur during removal. After 35 years, I'm pretty squeemish...

Here's the Frets.com photo-sequence tutorial on resetting the Gurian neck. This was a real eye opener.
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier ... reset.html
He used just a "diagonal cutter" to pull the pins out. Putting them back in requires a custom fixture...BUT!...with a new neck, perhaps the pins will not have to be reinstalled. Here's why I say that:

I may have it wrong, but my understanding is that reknowned luthier/guitar maker William Cumpiano worked for Michael Gurian back in the day. He's familiar with the design, and I wish I could ask him about building a new neck, but 1) he's tremendously expensive, and 2) I can't find a way (or the nerve) to email him.

Look at this neck joint that Cumpiano uses in all his current building. It harkens back to the the Gurian design, but is far easier to remove and reset due to reliance on common knock-down furniture hardware. Amazing in its simplicity.
http://www.cumpiano.com/Home/Articles/S ... block.html

It seems to me, the two metal barrels could be implemented in place of the two ebony pins by way of minor drilling. This could apply to either the existing neck (modified/widened) or a new replacement neck.

I want to respond to other comments you guys made, but have already written 'a book' here. Check out the links and let me know what you think - and then I'll blab some more if you don't mind...

Tom
OverThere

Plan B

Post by OverThere »

Well, it looks like the Gurian will need the neck replaced entirely.
I'm not able to take that on at present ($$$) so I'm looking into Plan B instead.

Here's a thread outlining kit parts I'd like to find:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5838

Thanks