Hondo Doody!

JVan

Hondo Doody!

Post by JVan »

Anybody want to take a trip back 30 years ago? Well yesterday I had a gentleman bring me this Hondo H-160 12 string guitar,(remember them?) lol,...He wanted to know if we could get the guitar back in playing condition once again? The guitar was his fathers, he got it brand new when he was 16 years old, way back in the early 70's and played it for years, it has been sitting for around now in a closet for 15 years, with no case. So,he doesn't mind spending some money to fix it up as long as it is reasonable. LOL.. Anyway, see the pics below, The plastic nut is half gone, the frets are almost level with the fret board, bridge is cracked, lifting and missing an adjusting knob, but the body and everything else structurally looks to be okay, not a total trainwreck, but is an entry level guitar here,. As far a suggestions go,..well I am open for any and all input, other than the obvious answer, "use it as firewood",what would you guys consider to get this beast back up and hummin without a lot of time and $ ?
Sorry for the pics not being the best,

Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ben-Had

Re: Hondo Doody!

Post by Ben-Had »

Without having it in hand:

1. Cut and install a new nut
2. Remove and either refit, repair and reglue the old bridge or purchase/make a new one and replace.
3. Clean it, set it up, restring and play it.

Appears to be more of a time investment than a money investment. Is the neck angle good?
Tim Benware
JVan

Post by JVan »

I checked the neck on it, it is not twisted or cracked anywhere, and when I lay a straight edge down the somewhat flat frets, the straight edge sits right on top of the bridge, so it is in the ballpark, I was thinking along the same line as you Tim on everything else, but it may need to be re-fretted due to how low and flat they are now. Once re-fretted the strait edge should be around 1/16" above the bridge then.
I am not sure I could find one of those adjusting screws for the bridge though?

Jeff
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

interesting project
Resurrecting an old guitar can be rewarding
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Sometimes those things pop up on ebay or possibly find a pair close at All Parts or the like.
Tim Benware
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

May be easier to fill the slot with that awful adjustable saddle in it and rout a slot for a proper saddle, at least that would be my approach. The frets would most likely be a deal breaker though, I see quite a few guitars similar to this and most folks would not want to put $300-$400 into it so if you don't think it will play with the frets that are there advise your client accordingly.

Of course from what I remember, those things had low flat frets from the get go....
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
JVan

Post by JVan »

Thanks Brian, I took your advice. I took out the (adjustable) metal saddle receiver and made one from EIR, and replaced the saddle with a more "normal" one, I also added a felt protector to the backside of the trapeze to eliminate vibrations from the strings, and installed new frets, the client was happy to pay to get it playing again, sentimental thing I guess, ..and now the Hondo has come back to life! As far as the sound goes,..well,.....sounds like a Hondo....Doody...~ ;-)
Have a few small adjustments to make and were done...One happy customer awaits!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Nice fix.
Tim Benware