renovation of old harmony guitar

jimmacgillivray

renovation of old harmony guitar

Post by jimmacgillivray »

Hello again,I have finished the Harmony guitar and want to send pictures of it,I gave it to my brother and he can,t believe the difference in looks and sound,I used a cedar ,from scratch,top and x braceing copied from martin 0 18,I am not computor smart re: uploading pictures ,but shall get someone to help with that ,so hopefully soon you,ll get to view my efforts,thanks and best regards,jim macgillivray
hummingbird

Re: renovation of old harmony guitar

Post by hummingbird »

Can't wait to see the pics Jim
Alain
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Can't wait to see the pictures.
Slacker......
jimmacgillivray

Hello again,I,am still attempting to send my pictures along,however,I,am not able to size properly ,I,am useing kodak easy share,I,ve loaded the pictures onto my computor and have attempted to "submit an upload attachment" they are sized slightly over 3000 pexzols ? spelling ? and I understand that I need less than that ,any kind of suggestions would be helpful,thanks and looking forward to whatever suggestions you could send,best regards Jim
jimmacgillivray

HI,hope this picture comes through,regards,Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimmacgillivray

Hi I,am still struggling here with this photo sending ,sorry for the time it has taken me to reply,I,ll eventually get the hang of it,thanks for the patience,Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimmacgillivray

Hi ,this is material obtained at lumber building supply.cedar with quarter sawn grain,I had to search through the 1x5 boards for it but it,s kiln dried and tight grained,I found it very suitable.I just ripped it into 1/4 pieces thickness,then sent it through a thickness planer,glued them all together ,clamped the top let it dry then cut it out,useing the old top as a pattern,thanks for viewing,regards,Jim
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

It's cool that you used lumber yard wood. I like that. How many pieces make up the top.
Alain
jimmacgillivray

Hi Alain,you were asking ,how many pieces,well it took about 4 pieces and just processed them 1. cut them out to length of top ,2.rip /split them on table saw,you,ll end up with 3/8 thickness,since originally they were 3/4 inch thick. 3th process,a thickness planer is handy,to avoid a lot of sanding. It really does,nt matter how many pieces that you use ,you,ll glue them all together anyway,just as long as they,re straight grained = quarter sawn wood for top. I got the idea from a video a famous classical guitar maker was doing,he mentioned,how ,if straight grained pieces were joined with glue together,the resulting sound ,should not be dimished,I believe his son still makes guitars in Britain,anyway Alain ,hope that you,ll have success as I have and it,s a lot of fun just finding the wood,next time you,re in a building supply store,check out the cedar wood,best regards and thanks for the reply,Jim
jimmacgillivray

Hi ,this is just a picture of how the top was clamped to the rim,those spools are so easy to make,get yourself a wooden length of 1 1/4 inch. dowel and chop them 1 inch thick,then drill 3/8 holes in center for threaded rod lengths,hope this is helpful to anyone,best regards Jim