Re: All Things Are new ...

Bill

Post by Bill »

well... it's been a long time. To you friends who joined this forum when I ran it and hung in there with me, hello again, friends. To those who weren't around then... hello, new friends.

Many of you have seen the disturbing destruction of my very first kit guitar. It was completed in the year before I founded the original version of this forum, the KitGuitarForum. I loved that guitar, and I wanted to share with others the revelation that it was possible for a guy (or gal) with NO guitar-building or anywoodworking experience to build a guitar they would be proud to show off ... a guitar they would be able to play and really enjoy.

The Forum has come a long way since then, and I applaud the efforts of John Hall and his group to bring the Forum more current. I had too much on my plate, and couldn't do it, but I did not want the Forum to just fade away. So, when John offered, I accepted ... and now he and his group are expanding its reach. Great work John!

My small, possibly last effort here has been the rebuilding of my first guitar, which I, myself, almost completely destroyed when I tripped over the family cat (which is still alive) and fell on the guitar. It was sad. It took me two years to even look at it again, and three years to start working on it. You guys know how I must have felt, right?

Anyway, here it is, a minor bit of glory. I learned a lot while rebuilding it, and I changed a couple of things. I reduced the fretboard width at the nut from 1 14/16 to 1 13/16, which I've found to be my "sweet spot." Everything else is basically the same. I used part of the original top for a peghead veneer. but the only parts that was still useful were the sides and back, which were miraculously untouched. Of course, the bridge was okay.

So, it's basically a new guitar, but, to me, it's still the FIRST. You guys all know how your first one, in all areas of life, always tugs on your heart, right?

Here are a few pictures. If I was a decent player, I'd include a sound file. But, trust me, it sounds wonderful.

It was like deja vu all over again when I got ready to glue the new neck onto the rebuilt body.

When I first completed the original, in 2004, I photoed it on the couch.

Seemed natural to photo it again in the same place.

So, that's the story. If you want, you cant find the previous steps somewhere else on the forum. Just remember, when you screw up royally, all might still not be lost.

Stay safe, vote intelligently, and enjoy the process! God bless all ...
Bill Cory
Bill Cory
-------
Kit Guitar Forum Founder
See http://www.KitGuitarBuilder.com for more kit info
Building instructions for kits available at
http://www.KitGuitarManuals.com
Answers/views at The Kit Guitar Blog
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Thanks for posting Bill. I am glad that the guitar and the cat are still alive. I do thank you for the great job you did with the beginning of this forum. As you know we may have had a few bumps in the road , we are proud of your contribution and that Kit Guitar Forum will always have an opening for you. I am very proud of Jim Hall and Tommy Lamotta , they do a fantastic job of moderating.
I took myself out of that loop as this forum is for information to be shared and I don't want it to be an infomercial.
May you have success in all you do and again Thanks again.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
darren

Post by darren »

Thanks for sharing Bill. Good to see you again and the guitar looks great!
Darren
David L

Post by David L »

What is the deal with cats and guitars?

David L
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The new top looks great and I am glad to see you post a picture of it.
Last edited by johnnparchem on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Great to see you Bill! The guitar came out well, glad it worked for you....that is a tough repair/save, and it turned out very well!
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hooyah! It almost looks original Bill.
I don't like the "small last effort" quote though, you have to keep building and stay around.

Kevin
Herman

Post by Herman »

Heey my friend, So nice to hear from you again. It has been a while and as you see some of them you used to know are around. This forum is still a good place to be. And we all do some builds and repairs. I'm on to #12 and making repairs al the time. Good to see you picking up your old habit. Let us go further where we lost another.

Welcome back
Herman
JLT

Post by JLT »

I had to laugh. I'm so used to tearing a musical instrument apart and rebuilding it as I learn that there's hardly one around that hasn't had some alteration done to it. It's liberating to know that no matter what happens to my instruments, it's no big deal to take it apart and fix it. I've got all the tools, right?

I hope you keep building. If you don't have the time for guitars anymore, try mandolins or ukuleles or whatever.
Bill Cory

Post by Bill Cory »

Thanks guys for the nice comments! It's been so long since this happened, I forgot there are those who don't know what the problem was.

I tripped over the family feline, guitar in both hands, landed on a chair with the guitar body on the left arm of the chair, the neck on the other arm of the chair, and me in the middle. The destruction was almost complete; couldn't have planned it much better if I tried. But, miraculously, the sides and back were untouched. That was in December 2007. I put it all in a plastic bag (in which I almost added the CAT), didn't even look at it for two years because it made me sad. Then, one day, I decided to either burn it or rebuild it. Took awhile longer to get it done, but now I am playing it again, in my own not-very-good fashion.

That first one is always special, right guys?

Thanks again --
Bill
Bill Cory
Selling all my tools, etc: http://KitGuitarTools.com
Special Price on Combined 350-page PDF of
"Complete Guide" and "Martin-style Kit Manual"
at http://www.KitGuitarManuals.com