Froggy Bottom Guitar repair

tippie53

Froggy Bottom Guitar repair

Post by tippie53 »

for anyone seeing any of these , be aware the neck is a tenon and it is pinned sideways with tapered pins. They are a nightmare to work on. Will be posting pics soon. If you get one in your shop , you will do well to tell your customer to send it back to Froggy. After about 1990 they went bolt on.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
BlindBo

Re: Froggy Bottom Guitar repair

Post by BlindBo »

Tenon, pinned sideways???? Must be brutal on your hands!đź‘ą
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I don't know if it's the same thing, but Cumpiano explains this in his book (with Natelson), as learned from Michael Gurian. But Cumpiano has since embraced the bolt-on method. There are several videos online about resetting or replacing a Gurian neck. Bruce W.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I remember when that book came out4, it was such a strange thing to read about that neck attachment system in an otherwise good book. I hope not too many poor souls tried to do it that way.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

There are some good processes that are helpful in the Cumpiano book, but that pinned neck I always thought was strange. I don't think I ever considered trying it.

I know a bolt on adds weight but it's sure nice being able to take the neck on and off when setting things up in the end.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I am documenting this process . My hands look like hell , I finally got the pin starting to move. Tomorrow I hope it is done.
What a horrible design. Why anyone would do this is beyond me. there are so many better ways
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com