Guild D40 Restore

rcnewcomb

Re: Guild D40 Restore

Post by rcnewcomb »

DIane,
For screenshots you can use the Windows Snipping tool. These are far more clear than photos of a computer screen taken with a phone.

On many Windows systems you can also use <Windows-key><Shift><S> to capture a screen shot.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thanks Randy.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've cut the dovetail using the CNC. After 3 false starts, I managed to produce a credible 3D rendering of the dovetail and surrounding wood that's missing. In fact, I was so excited that I forgot to run the "smooth" 3D program, not that it matters.

I have to use my chisel to make the recess for the dovetail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The wood graft is in. It may not look like it, but the fit is precise and tight. It's just that everything was so uneven, it took quite a while to get it in.

You'll notice that there's a gap on the right. I left it by design. That side is open, because the jacka** who cut the neck out went beyond the neck block. Today I'm gluing a separate piece of mahogany on the inside to the neck block and side. I'll glue to the neck block first, let it cure, then I can glue the side to the wood and clamp it good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Since the dovetail/block is epoxied into place, I had to do something about the missing wood under the top/side.

The genius who created this trainwreck cut the neck off so far to the right, that they cut beyond the neck block. The right side has cracked, because it's not glued to the block anymore.

First, I had to clamp the side down, so it was in the proper position assuming it was still glued to the neck block. I used a rosewood piece as a flat caul across the top of the guitar, and gently clamped the top of the guitar, until it was level on both sides, in preparation for the wood that will stabilize the side. This also closes the crack.

I cut a 1" x 3/4" piece of Mahogany that fit between the kerfing.at the top, and sits along the neck block. Using HHG, because of its self-clamping properties, I glued the piece to the side of the neck block and the side/top. It's made good contact all along the side of the block, and across the side at the top of the shoulder.

I'm going to put a thin piece of mahogany across the end of the crack to arrest any propensity for it to spread. It'll look like a strut. I'll do it tomorrow once the guitar is unclaimed so I can sew where it needs to go.
20240123_123401.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars