Replacing Binding using CA Glue on Guitars with Old Nitro

Diane Kauffmds

Replacing Binding using CA Glue on Guitars with Old Nitro

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I wanted to bind the archtop with ivoroid, but I had a dilemma. Duco Cement and CA glue damage old nitro. I wanted to preserve the original finish on this guitar. It's been my experience that both of these glues will damage lacquer on contact, even if cleaned off immediately. So, I decided to make this guitar a guinea pig.

CA glue won't glue to a greasy surface. I decided to spread white lithium grease, which I had in hand, around the lacquered edge of the binding and purfling channels. I was careful not to get the grease into the channels. I'm sure any grease will work, inc Vaseline.

I glued the binding and purfling as usual. I had to make the tape extra long, so go beyond the grease.

After taking the tape off, you could see a couple of places where the glue squeezed out of the binding. I cleaned up the grease by wiping with a paper towel, then with naphtha.

Then I polished with Novus #2, which polished away any residue. The finish remains and the ca glue didn't damage it:. Remember, I was careful to try to get the glue in the channels and I cleaned it immediately if it got on the finish. But, there was no damage even though ca glue damages on contact.
PicsArt_06-24-01.17.05.jpg
PicsArt_06-24-01.17.32.jpg
PicsArt_06-24-01.19.15.jpg
PicsArt_06-24-01.18.15.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Re: Replacing Binding using CA Glue on Guitars with Old Nitr

Post by tippie53 »

interesting
I use 3m thin tape but your method seems to do a good job also. I will remember that trick
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Very creative Dianne. Was it hard keeping the grease out of the channels with the binding flailing around as you installed it?

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Very creative Dianne. Was it hard keeping the grease out of the channels with the binding flailing around as you installed it?

Ed
I put a piece of tape on it and tape it to the back of my hand as needed; I can keep it corralled it that way Ed.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com