Bridge pin material vs sustain/tone quality

Intonation, Compensation, Frustration
benjaminbusack

Bridge pin material vs sustain/tone quality

Post by benjaminbusack »

Does anyone have strong opinions on what bridge pin material provides the best sustain?
Ben-Had

Re: Bridge pin material vs sustain/tone quality

Post by Ben-Had »

If you are just considering sustain, I would say brass. If you are concerned as well with tone differences you may want to experiment a little to see what sounds best to you because what you like someone else may not.
Tim Benware
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I wouldn't say I have "strong opinions." More like "random unsubstantiated theories."

It seems to me that for the most sustain you would want the lightest bridge pins possible, which would rule out brass. But Ben-Had has exactly the opposite view, which may be correct. I have no personal evidence either way, although I have heard titanium pins (light) are supposed to be good. They are also hideously expensive, which may tend to make people who buy them hear what they want to hear.

A friend whose ear I generally trust thinks tusq pins improved the sound of his guitar.

If I ever get organized enough to do it, perhaps I'll make a set of brass pins and see if I notice any difference in the sound. I've got a bit of titanium I could make some pins from, in theory, but titanium is horrendously difficult to machine so I probably won't. There is also the small but real danger of it catching fire, which would be Bad since you need a Class D fire extinguisher to put it out and I don't have one.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have learned that it is often the guitar .
There are a few factors one has to accept. Weight / Mass are part of the issue. I tried brass and aluminum. Used once never again.
Sustain is great but don't go just for that. You also need attack. You want that string to power the top . Adding weight while helping sustain can take other things out. My best advice is to get different strings and pins and find the combination that works for that guitar.
I use Bone Ebony and Plastic.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
benjaminbusack

Post by benjaminbusack »

Thank you everyone for the response. I may try some bone pins next time I change strings just for fun. This guitar sounds incredible already, using plastic pins and light strings. A strongly strummed chord or plucked string rings out for quite a while.
The kit came with a bone saddle and nut and was just wondering if I should have bone pins as well but I can't imagine it sounding better, we'll see next string change.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

plastic pins are pretty much standard.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com