A MIA Fender Standard Stratocaster issue...

Intonation, Compensation, Frustration
justrfb

A MIA Fender Standard Stratocaster issue...

Post by justrfb »

Hello All,
I know this forum deals with acoustic instruments but I have to assume some or most of you can and do work on solid body electrics too. We purchased a MIA Fender Standard Stratocaster off of Craigslist for my son as an upcoming birthday gift. The guitar is a 1998 and is beautiful. I took it to a local shop to get checked and set-up. The guy says it is all back to factory default set-up and was a real nice find. He did tell me about an issue I will eventually (maybe) have to address...
The head of the nut on the truss rod is almost rounded out. He said the Fender tool/wrench (Allen head) just spins and spins in the nut head. He says the nut is still holding, the truss rod is good and the neck relief is good too, it just can't be adjusted... I tried metric and standard Allen keys and I can almost get a metric one to turn the nut by tilting the wrench in the head of the nut. I consider it a shame to have such a beautiful (and expensive) instrument that is not in full working order. I have the question out to a few local Luthiers but does anyone have an opinion or experience as to what it would take to fix this issue? Is it easy enough for me to do? If it was your guitar, what would you do? Thank you so much and I do believe my family (or Santa) is purchasing an acoustic kit for me to build for my birthday or Christmas...

Sincerely,
Rich
B. Howard

Re: A MIA Fender Standard Stratocaster issue...

Post by B. Howard »

It is repairable, the question is how much effort to do so? And that depends, Fender has used both single and double action rods. If it is a single action you may be able to remove the damaged nut and replace, if it is a2 way you will most likely need to replace the rod. Fender may or may not be able to tell you what it is based on serial number (they could be wrong with their answer as well). You can try and find out on your own as well. Take the closest fitting wrench you have and carefully and neatly wrap some aluminum foil around the end, enough so that it still slides in the hole without pushing up into a ball. See if you can back the nut off. It will help if you place some back-pressure on the neck with clamps or a strap to hold the tension so when the nut starts to move it comes free and spins easier. If it backs off about a turn or so and tightens back up, STOP, it is most likely a 2 way rod and would need replaced. If the nut comes off you should be able to replace it. At least that would be my initial approach from what I have read, a hands on exam may yield a totally different opinion. Honestly my advice is to let it be until relief actually becomes an issue and then deal with it, in the end a replacement neck may be cheaper and much easier.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

it is best to fix it before it is rounded off
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Hello All.
Thank you. A few questions... You are saying that if it is a single truss rod, the nut will just turn all the way off and come out? Then I would just be able to screw on the new one? That would be nice... Do you think they were using two way rods in 1998? I may just try it. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Rich
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

it is a barrel nut and yes , if it is a 1 way the barrel nut will come out. In fact you may be able to just flip the thing
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com