Compensated Saddles a 101 primer

Intonation, Compensation, Frustration
tippie53

Compensated Saddles a 101 primer

Post by tippie53 »

Saddle compensation is not a simple thing as the variables of a particular instrument are often different from another. The things that will influence the compensation are string gauge , the alloy used ,age of the strings and the placement and angle of compensation used on the bridge.
It is a fairy tale to think one compensated saddle design will work on all guitars. Lets look at the variables and what they do to influence things.
Action height :
The higher the action the more the strings will pull sharp
String gauge:
Light gauge and med gauge will have different tensions and working length of the string
Alloy
this will also influence to a degree the work hardening of the string
Compensation angle
Most common used is about 3 degrees
Compensation length
This is the extra length a build will use to place the saddle position on the guitar.
Zero fret position
The point where the string is actually in the playing line or point .0 of the string length

As a string gets played and ages the properties of the strings will change. This phenomenon is called work hardening. The strings will loose some flexibility and will harden. The string is also being corroded . This changes the intonation. Often the B or G strings will be hard to keep tuned.

So as you look at the needs for compensation you have to look at the playing style that the guitar will be used in. I make my own saddles to the individual guitar. Martin used to use a 3/32 saddle. I like to make my saddles .110. That gives me a little more adjustment room.
When I do a guitar I like to make the set up first then do the compensation last. With fretted instruments you may not get every fret to note true . I like to use the different positions to check intonation so there is a better cents placement up and down the neck. The higher the action the more to compensate to the flat side . The farther up the neck the more accurate your spacing needs to be. It won't take you long to learn to make a good compensated saddle.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Tim R

Re: Compensated Saddles a 101 primer

Post by Tim R »

Always nice to read your 101 posts John! Hey, have you guys considered a new main topic under General Information labeled Set-up? I read somewhere that making a guitar involves two largely independent skills: woodworking and making a musical instrument :-) The later involves a lot of set-up skill, as I am discovering. Maybe other recent posts on this topic could all be transferred under a new set-up heading.

Just thought,

Tim

Post by   »

Tim R wrote:Always nice to read your 101 posts John! Hey, have you guys considered a new main topic under General Information labeled Set-up? I read somewhere that making a guitar involves two largely independent skills: woodworking and making a musical instrument :-) The later involves a lot of set-up skill, as I am discovering. Maybe other recent posts on this topic could all be transferred under a new set-up heading.

Just thought,

Tim
Done! Good suggestion, Tim.
Tim R

Post by Tim R »

That was fast Tommyboy. Cool.

John,

It would be great if you could post details (and better yet a video!) of how you do the saddle compensation (filing technique, tricks, pitfalls) and how you would use the Snark Tuner or strobe to guide these adjustments. I have a snark tuner on order.

Tim
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I think we can do that , I will have to get Glenn to bring up the camera. I have both strobe and I do use the snarks . I just got the Black ones in .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

Let's schedule a day to shoot more video. I have knee surgery tomorrow, so will be out of action for a week or so, but other than that, lets get something on the books :-)

Glenn
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

bump
A good primer and worth the read for newbies
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc