A StewMac kit is sitting on my bench

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
Srick

A StewMac kit is sitting on my bench

Post by Srick »

:D Hi all!

For my 70th birthday, my wife got me a StewMac OM kit. Fortunately, I have a pretty good credit card available for all of the required tools, and a StewMac preferred account to expedite the shipping of all of those tools. I don’t think that she had any idea of how deep this rabbit hole goes. I haven't had the heart to tell her that the $649 kit turns into a $1649 guitar.

I am already sweating routing the binding slot and finishing the guitar. And, some of you may know me from AGF where I am a long time participant and moderator. First purchase… hygrometer for the shop! Then… clamps…. Lots of clamps.

Nice to be here.

Rick

Central Connecticut
Last edited by Srick on Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And you know there's a YouTube video of a guy in Mexico who builds a guitar only using a machete, right?
tippie53

Re: A StewMac kit is sitting on my bench

Post by tippie53 »

we are here to help and share
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Welcome Rick. I’ve built 4 or 5 StewMac kits before moving on to building from scratch. I’ll gladly share my experiences but it’s probably too voluminous for a post. You are welcome to email me at blindbostrings@comcast.net if you’d like to discuss.
I hope you enjoy this forum. There are some really helpful folks here.
Take care.
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Welcome Rick. I’ve built 4 or 5 StewMac kits before moving on to building from scratch. I’ll gladly share my experiences but it’s probably too voluminous for a post. You are welcome to email me at blindbostrings@comcast.net if you’d like to discuss.
I hope you enjoy this forum. There are some really helpful folks here.
Take care.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

And there is no point in buying all those specialized tools to build just one guitar,,,,
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Srick

Post by Srick »

MaineGeezer wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:59 am And there is no point in buying all those specialized tools to build just one guitar,,,,
I’ve heard this rumor. And I seem to remember seeing a YouTube video of a Mexican luthier building an entire guitar with a machete and a knife. :D

(That’s right dear, this is exactly how they build ‘em in Nazareth!)
And you know there's a YouTube video of a guy in Mexico who builds a guitar only using a machete, right?
jread

Post by jread »

MaineGeezer wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:59 am And there is no point in buying all those specialized tools to build just one guitar,,,,
just one guitar. hahaha! Yeah, we all thought we were gonna build just one guitar. hahahahahahah. Good one. :D
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

We're all here to help. I think you already have my email address should you need help. I also text a lot of folks. Just contact me for my phone number
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

Welcome!

Come on in, the water's fine.

One guitar, right.
Srick

Post by Srick »

Well the StewMax membership has now paid for itself, and getting an extra 10% off the order for accepting texts save another $40.

Then the obligatory trip to HF for 'stuff', Amazon for spool clamps, LMI for something or other....

And of course, I'll have all this great stuff on hand for #2. I better live a long and healthy life otherwise, my wife's going to have a lot of stuff to get rid of!

And just to jog your memory, a house is just a place for your 'stuff'