Starting this journey

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
dmalthouse

Starting this journey

Post by dmalthouse »

Hi All, Dean from Louisville KY. Been a hobby word worker for most of my adult life. Started making crappy furniture and progressed to being decent at cabinetry. Also been a guitarist most of my life, should be better than I am given that, but I can entertain myself. At some point I had the brilliant idea to bring the 2 together. I've made several scratch electric builds that I enjoyed doing and still enjoy playing.

Then I moved to building hand wired tube amps and cabinets. Fender, Vox, and Marshall circuits. I love playing all of these!

After watching a whole lot of Blues Creek videos I ordered and received a D-18 kit from John. He included in his order acknowledgement the very wise advice "remember, think it through, then call me if you have any questions." That right there made me feel welcomed. The more I learn, the more I understand how much more there is to learn. Just thankful for the incredible wealth of information available here. The journey is every bit as important as the destination.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Starting this journey

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hi Dean and welcome to the forum.
I should think you'll have a blast creating your first acoustic. Don't be surprised if the bug bites and you'll been on #17 in no time.
Please share your build progress with us as you have time.
And many of us here have made lots of mistakes and might be able to help you with yours....should you encounter any.
Good luck building

Kevin
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Good morning, Dean. Realize that nobody builds just one guitar. Once you start down the road, you're doomed!

Please keep us informed of your progress. We like pictures. Don't be afraid to ask questions, or to talk about disasters. It seems like with every guitar I've built there came a point where I wanted to take an axe to it and toss it in the woodstove. I finally decided that's normal, at least for me. If it happens to you, just keep going and you'll be fine.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Welcome Dean! You came to the right place. Read through the forum as much as possible and you’ll be prepared. We love any and all questions. Nice folks with tons of knowledge and experience, ready to help!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Hey Dean. Welcome to the forum. I’m fairly new here too and have really enjoyed it and appreciate all the help that has been offered. You’ll get a lot of support here.
Hope your project goes well!
Dobroguy

Post by Dobroguy »

MaineGeezer wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:18 am Good morning, Dean. Realize that nobody builds just one guitar. Once you start down the road, you're doomed!
When you start building twins you know you are really doooomed! Don't ask me how I know.
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

Welcome Dean.

You chose well by ordering from John. You will be getting top tier support.

I built my first acoustic guitar a few years back and I play that one regularly. I've built a few others and currently have an OM, D, and a Jumbo at various stages of construction.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop