First build, hi from Seattle.

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
Newbflat

First build, hi from Seattle.

Post by Newbflat »

Hi all, I’m about to start a Stewmac mahogany/Sitka OM kit that was given to me and I thought I would just say Hi..

I have a background in carpentry, cabinetmaking and boat building. I thought about going to interment making school years ago and never did. I have thought long and hard about building a guitar for years. Have lots of books and endlessly surfed building forms. Well, now is the time, a kit and since I have the stuff there is no turning back.

I have a smallish converted attic space to work in that might be a bit tight but adequate. Humidity in the house swings between 40-60% and I'm working on stabilizing that.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce my self and get off on a good foot.

Bill
Seattle.
tippie53

Re: First build, hi from Seattle.

Post by tippie53 »

enjoy the journey
we are here to help so please ask all the questions you need
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Newbflat

Post by Newbflat »

Thanks!.. I will need all the help I can get.. :’)

I will add my references for how my ear has developed over the years. I have 3 acoustic guitars that I really like now.

Lowden O-32 (EIR/Sitka)... it’s big in every way. Is so so nuanced when played lightly. The bass of a grand piano and highs like bells.... kinda. It loves a capo as well. A keeper for sure.

1930 Martin 0-17 (12 fret mahogany B/S/T)... My only impulse guitar perches ever. I knew the moment I played it I had to have it. Sounds very warm and round with a full sound like an 000 sized body. But still has as little edge/ring in the bass so it doesn’t have that muted sometimes dead tone I find in some all mahogany Martins. I judge all all solid mahogany bodied/topped guitars by this one.
Another life long keeper.

Recording King RO-t16 (Chinese 000-18 like, sapele ply back and sides with a torrified Adirondack top)... What to say about this guitar. It was a $350 blemished reduced from $500 new. Thick poly finish with fret ends that could cut. Body makes no real noise when you handle it. After I cut the nut properly it plays better than any acoustic guitar I have ever played. Very even balance between strings, warm and nice tone. Kind of perfect to my ear and expectations for a mahogany 000 guitar. Only complaints are it could be louder and it’s missing a touch of nuance from the ply back and sides. Still.. it’s a really nice sounding guitar and it plays amazingly well. Maybe I got a good one, who knows but I like it. It was recommended by a friend as a "pretty nice sounding beater guitar" ... I agree. I leave it on a houseboat most of the time and it’s takes tempature amd humidity swings like a champ. I still bring it home at times just because it players like butter.

What constantly amazes me is when I change strings and start looking around inside the guitars. All have very different bracing. Some elagant and clean.. (Lowden and the most different braced), seemingly simple (0-17) and crude, rough ( the recording king). But all sound surprisingly good. So much to learn. I hope my first sounds as good as the Recording King..it will be depressing if it doesn’t... lol.

Bill
Last edited by Newbflat on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Welcome from St. Louis.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Hi Bill, Letting you know there is a good size group of guitar builders that meet as the Seattle Luthiers Group (SLuG) about once a month on the second Tuesday. Most members are amateur builders, some working on their first but some experienced luthiers as well. Next month December 11 we are having a potluck 7:00 at the Blue Ridge Club. You are welcome to attend.

John Parchem
Newbflat

Post by Newbflat »

Oh thanks John. I was looking at the website the others day and woundering if it was just for accomplished makers or if newbies were welcom. I might just show up ;’)

Bill
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Welcome Bill. Sounds like you have realistic expectations and that's a good thing. I had a similar background 6 years ago when I built my first, but I still remember what someone said. "guitar making is 50 steps, none of which you have done before". A success would be just getting al the parts in the right place and with the right relationship to each other on your first one, but the good news is, they all sound like a guitar.

Welcome

Ed
Ed M
Newbflat

Post by Newbflat »

Thanks Ed, I do have realistic expectations. I figure this first one is one big carful practice session. My situation is complicated. I have zero access to any shop space any more and am building in an open common area up stairs in the house. It’s a bit of a hard place to close off and controle humidity. I have gotten rid of most of my tools and equipment over the last few years sizing way down. I have become a caregiver to my partner who has Alzheimer’s disease. So I have a lot of time at home now but no tools any more or shop. A kit works well for me as I don’t have access to a bandsaw, router table, table saw, planer/jointer etc. I am going to spend some good money on pre made jigs and such as I do pony really have a place to build them or the equipment. I just hate not having the right tool for the job so I will throw some money at the problem. . I figure I was going to buy another nice guitar so I will just spend that money on equipment that will make my life and finish quality of the guitar better. My biggest worries were applying a finish. The idea of spraying nitro makes me very nervous on a number of levels. But I have read up on Tru-oil and that or something like that eases a lot of my fears. Anyway... I hope to get started soon...
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Hi Bill,

Welcome! You'll find us to be a helpful and friendly group of folks. The only stupid question is the one unasked, so please don't be shy about asking anything.

Yes, many of our new folks find success with a Tru-oil finish. You'll find lots of information on finishes and the finishing process. Like you, I had no shop, tools, or materials, to build my first guitar. I used my dining room table, and weather permitting, a table I picked up from a local Habitat For Humanity Restore for $5, that I sat on the front porch. I had to buy hand tools and everything.

I hope you have fun building your guitar, and again, welcome.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Newbflat

Post by Newbflat »

Thanks Diane, I hope to get started after the new year. In the mean time I have activated the brain sponge mode And I’m trying to absorb everything I can.

Bill