Long time player, build noob

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
LessPaul

Long time player, build noob

Post by LessPaul »

This place is awesome! I'm new here. I've been lurking for a few nights now. I'll likely lurk around a bit more... I've only ever repaired guitars, building one always sounded so daunting. This place seems like a great place to learn!
tippie53

Re: Long time player, build noob

Post by tippie53 »

hope you learn
we all share information
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

We love questions, so don't be shy about asking. I hope you have a lot of fun here.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Yes, it is intimidating and difficult (I am a noob too) but so was learning to play it. It’s the same realm, but very very satisfying. Farm out the most difficult processes and start with a kit....
Welcome to the forum.
Last edited by Kbore on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
LessPaul

Post by LessPaul »

Thanks guys!! I'm excited to learn! I'd have a much steeper learning curve without y'all! :)

Any ideas on where to start clicking around? or just willy nilly?
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Well, if you're going to start with a kit guitar, I would check out kits. If you're thinking about a Martin style guitar, I highly recommend Blues Creek Guitar kits. John puts together first quality components (not second quality, or castoffs). He's also available to help you, and support you much more than other companies that sell kits.

Of course there are other kits on the internet, and we will all help you, including John. You'll have a lot of support.

As far as building, go to YouTube and search Blues Creek Guitars. There are a plethora of building videos to watch.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
LessPaul

Post by LessPaul »

Awesome, thanks!!

Is there a thread showing completed builds? I searched "finished" and found many different threads.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The "Show it Off" area will have the finished builds.

You will get a lot of info on building in the "Blog your project" area of the forum. "Beginners Questions" is another area that I would check out.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

The suggestion to look at the videos John has put on YouTube (see John Hall Blues Creek Guitars) is a good one. I find that when I'm learning something completely new, the most difficult part initially is getting a frame of reference figured out that I can fit facts into as I get them; an outline of the process. I think watching John's videos can help with that.

As Diane suggested, also check out the topics "Show It Off!" and "Blog Your Project." You may be encouraged by the entries in "Blog Your Project" that recount the problems and screw-ups others have encountered and made while building. We survived; you will too.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

I've only ever repaired guitars
The fact that you have done repair work will help you. As you have learned while working on guitars, the setup is critical to having an instrument that is a joy to play.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop