Me and Billie say Hello, World!

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
Mal-2

Me and Billie say Hello, World!

Post by Mal-2 »

Hi. I'm Larry, this is my brother Daryl, and this is my other brother Daryl.

To keep things short over here since I'm posting my build to the blog, I'll summarize.

I don't play guitar particularly well. I can hack my way through "Wish You Were Here" and actually sing it at the same time, but that's one of about three songs I have in my play-and-sing repertoire. I haven't had a guitar of any kind for about four years, but I decided I wanted one for home recordings, and just to bang on. (For the same reasons, I have an electronic drum kit.)

I'm also pretty broke, so even a $200 guitar would have been a hardship. I could have bought a pre-assembled Ammoon Strat for about $62, but I decided it would probably have to be dismantled anyhow so why not start with pieces and save five bucks (though I spent far more than $5 putting a finish on it). I hoped to end up with something that plays something like a 70's Classic Vibe Squier Strat, because I liked that the last time I picked one up. I can't really remember if this neck feels like that one or not, it's been too long.

Anyhow, the neck had a back-bow, but I was able to save it with some desperate measures (namely, heating it up and standing on it). It plays nicely when set to the recommended action for a Strat, and now that I've done a second pass of fret-leveling, I may be able to bring it down more than that.

The pickups sucked. I knew they would suck. I ordered single-size humbuckers as replacements, and they are much better. I also bought replacement pots with push-pull switches, but need not have bothered. They aren't an improvement, except on the tone circuit. If you have a single-coil type guitar and the original tone pots, you might like 500k pots better.

tl;dr: I'm not really a builder, I'm a musician that wants a custom guitar but I'm too cheap to buy one. I bet that's how a lot of you got sucked into this. Hi.
Last edited by Mal-2 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Me and Billie say Hello, World!

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Welcome! You'll find a lot of helpful people on the forum. I hope you enjoy yourself.

I moved your second post to the "blog" part of the forum. Your first few posts have to be approved to make sure they aren't spam and that you're human (LOL).

Anyway, welcome and don't be shy about asking questions.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Well welcome to the forum then! I feel so deep in that I forgot why I did it, but yeah I'm pretty sucked in.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Mal-2

Post by Mal-2 »

Last edited by Mal-2 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mal-2

Post by Mal-2 »

Sorry, I'm trying to consolidate all this on the blog side.