Hello from the UK

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
Chrisot

Hello from the UK

Post by Chrisot »

Hi,
I’ve just stumbled across this site and read a few of the posts. I’ve recently finished my first guitar under the supervision of an experienced luthier. It’s a classical based on a Torres design. Top is spruce, back and sides are English yew. Bindings are laburnum. I’ve a lot to learn. I’m just equipping a workshop and intend to make a steel stringed dreadnought next. I hope I can learn from as well as contribute to the forums.

Regards

Chrisot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: Hello from the UK

Post by tippie53 »

welcome
Your guitar looks nice and I am sure it is something you can be proud of. Do not be afraid to ask questions and tell us not only what worked but share what didn't
Sometimes learning what not to do is more important than learning what to do
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Welcome to the forum. Very nice guitar. I'm petty new to the forum and guitar building, working on my first dreadnaught.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Your guitar is beautiful. The forum is full of helpful people. I hope you enjoy yourself.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Welcome! I assume you made the rosette -- very nice job, as is the rest of the guitar.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Nice work on your first. Yew is an interesting wood I rarely see in sizes for guitar. Can you post pics of the sides/back? How would you characterize the voice of your guitar? BTW, welcome.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

A welcome to Chrisot from me also. Here on Vancouver Island, a friend has made at least one guitar from Western Yew, Taxus brevifolia. It's a beautiful instrument. But yew is scarce and protected I think, so you have to find downed trees. This species was found to have value in treating some cancers but I think they quickly learned to synthesize the compound before there was a rush to cut all the yews down.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Welcome aboard Chrisot

Ed
Ed M