Cheers!

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
StoneLove

Cheers!

Post by StoneLove »

Hi All,

I'm happy to be here and already grateful for the future advice! I live in Phoenix, AZ and have wanted to build a Kit guitar for awhile. I'm finally ready to build! Over the last 4 or 5 weeks I was able to build a "shop" in my spare bedroom. I now own and have read both Billy Cory kit building books. I'm still hanging tools but I'm almost ready to finally decide what I want to build and order the kit.

Living in PHX I have to add humidity to my wood working room. It generally stays around 25-30% RH. I have a hot humidifier hooked to a humidity controller that keeps the room at 40-50% RH all the time. You'll see in the attached picture, my humidifier is hooked to a 5 gallon jug of water using a float valve. This keeps me from having to constantly fill the humidifier. That being said, here is my first question on the forum for you :D ...

If my room is staying around 40-46% RH is it safe to have electronics in there? Can I still keep my electric guitars in there or will this kind of humidity damage them? Amps? Laptop? I'm not used to high humidity.

Thanks All! Like I said, I'm happy to have joined. I'll post this question in a different area of the forum, just in case.

Cheers,

StoneLove
IMG_2327.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: Cheers!

Post by tippie53 »

that won't hurt the electronics what it will do is play havoc with the wood until it equalizes. That may take a few weeks. You live in a very dry environment and it takes some prep to do wood work , so allow acclimation time.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com