Another Newby

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
Benjy

Another Newby

Post by Benjy »

Glad I found ya'll! I have been snooping around checking things out.
I bought a damaged Big Baby Taylor, I used my auto repair skills and fixed it, I then put a tobacco Sunburst finish on it to hide where I repaired it.

I messed up and ran across a damaged Martin kit on ebay, I made an offer and oops, he accepted it! So here I am :D

Millions of questions to follow! I will try and search the forum for the answer before I ask the question!

Thanks!
Benjy
MaineGeezer

Re: Another Newby

Post by MaineGeezer »

There are good folks here, with good advice and encouragement (and commiseration when you screw it up). Let us know how you're doing with the kit as you go along.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
David L

Post by David L »

Welcome to the Forum Benjy! You just happened to join the right Forum as one of our esteemed members is an Authorized Martin repair guy as well as lots of other very knowledgeable guitar building folks so you should get plenty of advice and/or suggestions on that oops Martin that you "won". Don't be shy about throwing it out there, lots of friendly helpful people here. Oh, three other suggestions for you: pictures, pictures, and pictures.

Enjoy,
David L
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

Thought I would attempt to post some pictures of my big baby. Since you asked :D
My daughter pointed out some defects and said that I had to fix them, so I am going to disassemble it in a couple of weeks, sand it down and re-clear it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David L

Post by David L »

If I'm correct that those are the before and after pictures then at least visually you did a sweet job. Does it sound as good as it looks?

David L
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

David, you are correct. that is a before and after. It sounds good. I don't think the repairs affected the tone, but I am a long ways from a guitarist, amateur at best.
David L

Post by David L »

The only thing that I would criticize about it is that I can see the outline of where the pickgaurd used to be and I'm being very picky (no pun intended). Don't get me wrong as I cannot stand the looks of pickgaurds on guitars, I know they serve a purpose, I just personally don't like the looks of them especially if you have an exceptionally beautiful top it makes no sense to cover a substantial portion of the top with a piece of plastic, Yuck!!! Please don't take my criticism too seriously, you really did a fine job on it. I'm impressed!

David L
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

David, You are right! You can still see were the pick guard was! I have to sand the guitar back down and re-clear it so I have not put the pick guard back on. The wood was almost white where the pick guard has protected it from the light.