Hello from Upstate NY

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
ed in cny

Hello from Upstate NY

Post by ed in cny »

Let me start by saying Hi to all of you. I am a former employee of Martin guitar in what it was called then Woodworkers Dream. Had my office right in the old plant up town in Nazareth PA. I went there to take a tour and apply for a job. Had Chris Martin do the the shop tour that day and after the tour I sat down with him for 5 mins or so to discuss employment. In Chris's words unless you know someone here it may take up to 10 years to get to work here. I left not feeling that great with what he said. I then went to the old shop to see the old shop plant and the wood working shop there. I meet up with Dick Boak and talked about the employment with him. He said they had an opening and apply. So I did and got the job working with Dick Boak and Frank Finocchio who now has his own shop in Easton PA.

I made up all the kits for all you building kits in the 85-87 and sold parts, wood and what not. Very enjoyable job. I went to the shows that Martin did and even drove the van full of high end guitars for the show. (how many can say that?) But sadly I followed money and marriage and that took me else where. So I left Martin. I do remember the first year I was there Martin gives out first year pins and when Chris Martin gave me mine he said "when I saw you a year ago I never though I would be giving you this." Something to hear from Chris.

That leads me to coming here. I still have the love for the guitar and enjoy woodworking. I have two body's and necks still to complete from my days at Martin and would like to one day play them. I also have interest in building some others so I think this site is the best suited. I think I've watched nearly all of John's videos on YouTube I could find. It has to say the least given me the bug again. Who knows I may have to take another tour again and see who is still there.

Ed
tippie53

Re: Hello from Upstate NY

Post by tippie53 »

thanks
your knowledge of Martin will be very welcome here. I am an authorized Martin repair center so we have a lot in common.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Welcome Ed, you've come to the right place. I grew up in the Glens Falls, NY area but I've been in NC for over 20 years now. Where you live now?
Tim Benware

Post by   »

Hey Ed, glad you found your way to the KGF. I look forward to your stories from 'back when'
and all the lutherie knowledge you'll contribute to our group.
-tommy
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Awesome story Ed, welcome. Hope some of the Martinique rubs off on the rest of us! :)

Kevin
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Glad to have you here Ed.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
ed in cny

Post by ed in cny »

Tim, Cortland is now where I call home.
JLT

Post by JLT »

ed in cny wrote:Tim, Cortland is now where I call home.
That's a very pretty little town. I think they had a harp dealer there. Me, I was born in Syracuse, went back there often to visit and had some good times on Otisco Lake. I still have a lot of relatives there.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

ed in cny wrote:Tim, Cortland is now where I call home.
Know it well. My brother-in-law and family lived there awhile. I almost bought a house in Dryden back in the 80's. Made many a trip to Greek Peak in my younger days.
Tim Benware
ed in cny

Post by ed in cny »

Otisco lake is a nice lake indeed. Have friends that have a camp on that lake and enjoy it.

Tim, I've froze my butt off on the peak too. Live 10 min from there. Yet I seldom get there for skiing anymore. Funny think you get to busy for things you used to do. Not sure why that is but it happens.