Hello from Southern California

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
GuitarradTJ

Hello from Southern California

Post by GuitarradTJ »

Hello to All,
My name is Raul, currently I live in Santa Ana Ca. I just got an itch to build my first guitar. I'll be building a classical and I must admit I'm feeling a little overwhelmed, but VERY excited to start. I've been playing for fun for half my life, but my son is a highschool junior and has been attending an art school.since the 7th grade in the classical guitar conservatory. He's grown so much as a guitarist, I'll extremely proud of him and in awe of what he learns at school (very proud papa).
So I'm hoping my first build will become a family heirloom (if it sounds descent) and will also be the first of many. I'm building on a right budget, but I work in a model shop with lots of tools, so i.don't anticipate having to buy a ton of new tools. This forum looks like it has tons of information. Starting to read Cumpianos' book Christmas day, it's going to be a great journey!
Cheers!
Raul
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Hello from Southern California

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hey Raul, welcome. A fellow Californian. Great!
I'm up in Visalia. I am just starting to jig up to make my first classical guitar after 8 steel string and one nylon crossover, so I'll be right in there with you.
Don't be shy to ask questions and post pictures. Start a building thread when you get started, we all enjoy seeing what others are doing.

Kevin

Post by   »

Raul, glad you found your way to the KGF. Members here will be glad to assist and share their knowledge.
Photos! Post many photos. Whoever posts the most photos, wins..............

-tommy
GuitarradTJ

Post by GuitarradTJ »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Hey Raul, welcome. A fellow Californian. Great!
I'm up in Visalia. I am just starting to jig up to make my first classical guitar after 8 steel string and one nylon crossover, so I'll be right in there with you.
Don't be shy to ask questions and post pictures. Start a building thread when you get started, we all enjoy seeing what others are doing.

Kevin
Thanks for the welcome Kevin! I've been browsing the forum and have seen so many great threads! Are you building from a kit? If so, which one? Serviced?
Raul
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Welcome Raul, Cumpiano's book is a great place to start.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Raul, my first guitar was built with an LMI serviced kit. Then I stuck my neck out and did the next one from luthier scratch. Once I had the idea how it all went together I just couldn't help myself, and the bug had caught me. That was back in 2008. I'll be starting #10 soon.