Hello from Redwood City, CA

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
Dansereal

Hello from Redwood City, CA

Post by Dansereal »

Hello, all. My name is Greg Smith, and I'm about to build a first guitar, a classical, from an LMI kit. I'm comfortable using common household hand- and power-tools, and long ago I had some summer-job experience with industrial metal-working tools, but I wouldn't call myself a woodworker.

My goal is to make a first guitar that sounds good enough for me to enjoy playing it. Looks would run a distant second. I've been playing stringed instruments, mostly nylon-strung, for 45 years. Currently I have a 30-year-old pride-and joy classical built by a legendary Spanish maker, and an unsigned semi-handmade Brazilian classical that I'm not afraid to hang on the wall -- which means, of course, that I take it down and play it more often than I do my number-one guitar, which I keep safe in a case and play only in public or when with other musicians.

I don't aspire to make a first guitar that's finished even as nicely as my Brazilian guitar, but I'd be thrilled if it sounded at least as good, and astounded if it sounded a little better. I wouldn't expect a first -- or even a 50th -- guitar to sound as good as my Spanish-legend guitar.

My blood froze when I read a posting here by someone whose first classical build "looked great but sounded horrible." That's just the opposite of what I'm hoping for.

Right off the bat I have a few questions to ask, but feel I've already gone too long, so I guess I'll post them as separate topics in the beginner's section.

Best,
Greg
justrfb

Re: Hello from Redwood City, CA

Post by justrfb »

Hello Greg.
You came to the right place! Welcome... There are many people here who will help you meet or exceed your goals for your first build, and every one after that, just ask... The people on this forum are the most knowledgeable, humble, best craftsman I know. They inspire, encourage and convince the average builder to be a great builder, able to bring even their first build proudly, to any place or hand it to any player without the slightest amount of doubt or concern. Good luck and don't forget to ask!

Sincerely,
Rich
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Welcome Greg. And hey, don't sell yourself short...aim high. Build a good sounding and looking guitar.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hi Greg and welcome. Always great to see another Caifornian join in on the fun.
You will be AMAZED at how your guitar sounds when it is done.
Did you get Robbie's building DVD along with you kit?

Kevin
Dansereal

Post by Dansereal »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Hi Greg and welcome. Always great to see another Caifornian join in on the fun.
You will be AMAZED at how your guitar sounds when it is done.
Did you get Robbie's building DVD along with you kit?

Kevin
Thanks, Kevin. I did get the DVD but haven't watched it yet. I *have* watched a number of Robbie's freebie videos. The one on glues was very helpful to the likes of me.

I know he goes to some trouble to show several different ways of doing the same thing, but in one of his freebie videos he shows only one way to cut the 2 mm rib slots into a Spanish-heel neck, and that's with a table-saw with an angled blade. Looks slick, and easier than some other ways I've read about, but since I don't have a table saw and don't intend to get one, and I don't yet know where else he favors a heavy-metal approach, I anticipate having to pick and choose from his methods as I go along.

On the the other hand, there *is* his online video course, which is said to be more complete (and maybe more multi-sided?) than the DVD, and I've briefly considered springing for that. Have you used it?

I didn't think LMI would be so fast getting the kit to me. Thought I had another week or two to research, but now the wood's here looking at me :)

Greg
Kevin Sjostrand

Greg I have the classical video course of Robbies. I got it when it first came out at a steal of a price. I have not yet built a classical, just about to finish my 8th steel string. However I've started a crossover guitar that will be an OM body with a top braced for nylon strings. I also figure to eventually build at least one classical.
You can easily cut those slots with a handsaw. Most of the tasks building a guitar can easily be done using hand tools. I know you've been asking about not putting binding on your guitar. Cutting the channels by hand could be tedious but if you think you might build more than one guitar, then invest in a trim router and a bit/bearing from LMI or Stewart McDonald and make life easier. With a coupon you can get a trim router from HF for about $20. I have 3 of them.

Kevin
Dansereal

Post by Dansereal »

Brian and Rich,

Thank you so much for your kind words of welcome and encouragement.

Greg
Dansereal

Post by Dansereal »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Most of the tasks building a guitar can easily be done using hand tools. I know you've been asking about not putting binding on your guitar. Cutting the channels by hand could be tedious but if you think you might build more than one guitar, then invest in a trim router and a bit/bearing from LMI or Stewart McDonald and make life easier. With a coupon you can get a trim router from HF for about $20. I have 3 of them.

Kevin
Thanks. No hand-tool purist here, and it so happens I've been window-shopping for a trim router lately. But if I can hold off on bindings till I know I can make a decent-sounding guitar, that's what I'd prefer -- unless the no-binding path is somehow harder.

Greg
Kevin Sjostrand

I could only say that making perfect looking joints around the rims at the top and bottom is not an easy task, but certainly obtainable. Mine never come out that way and I'm usually glad to be cutting in and installing bindings to make the guitar look better.