hello from n'awlins

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
majordave

hello from n'awlins

Post by majordave »

Hello, my name is Dave. I love working with wood. I play guitar but am not as well as I work with wood. I've wanted to build a guitar for a while and have made a top, back and neck from scratch and many small repairs. I've watched hours of video and read many threads of others ideas.
I just bought a martin D41 kit. I'm a bit disappointed in the neck. It is a two piece lamination and the wood tones are quite different. Think I'll make my own. Everything else looks ok but I plan to add some embellishments. I plan to bend some ears for tips.
Thanks
David L

Re: hello from n'awlins

Post by David L »

Hello Dave, welcome to the forum. My name is Dave also and you and I are neighbors, I live across the lake in Slidell.

David L
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Welcome. I'll be vacationing in N.O. this coming week for 6 days. Can't wait.
Tim Benware
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

actually the 2 piece neck is more stable than a 1 pc . Also you can stain it. If you call Martin , I assume that is where you got it , they may replace the neck for you.
I personally like 2 piece for the stability.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Welcome to the forum. I too, as John always make my necks in a lamination of at least two pieces. I can control the wood better that way, position grain to work against each other to prevent movement. I often satin my necks to match the body.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
majordave

Post by majordave »

Dave L. Truth be told we 're on the same side of the lake. I claim the city because who's ever heard of Robert, la. Glad to know of someone relatively nearby.
majordave

Post by majordave »

Thanks to all the welcomes. Brian and John, thanks for the input. I was actually thinking the lamination would increase strength but upon seeing the color variation I was worried it was less than standard. I have actually made a replacement neck out of maple with bloodwood racing stripes. I'm very happy with it. I did it because of increased strength and stability and it was cheaper than buying a thick neck blank. Thanks for your input. This forum is already more helpful than I could have hoped.
David L

Post by David L »

Hey Dave, Yeah sometimes I do the same thing as not many people have heard of Slidell either.

David L