New guy intro

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
LarryM

New guy intro

Post by LarryM »

Hi!
My name is Larry I've been playing guitar for 40+ years and I'm considering a build project, probably an LP as my first one. My dilemma is whether to go with Basswood or Mahogany wood? What would you experienced guys suggest? I'm leaning towards Mahogany since I've got a mahogany Martin and it sounds pretty amazing.
Thanks in advance for your responses!
RnB

Re: New guy intro

Post by RnB »

Welcome Larry ... :>)

I built a few LP's, although they were flatopped. I used 1-piece Mahogany bodies. For LP's, Mahogany is the preferred wood. Do you plan on capping it w/ Maple? I've always thought of basswood as a lesser grade tonewood! Keep us updated. We'll look forward to your progress...
David L

Post by David L »

Welcome to the forum Larry, get you a kit and get building!

David L
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Welcome Larry. The world is full of mahogany Lesters......It is the standard wood for them. A basswood one sounds interesting. A friend of mine had an original Charvelle made of basswood, That thing had singing sustain for weeks......
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I build my first LP from basswood with a maple veneer top, it sounded and looked fine. Not a bad way to get started. At the time I actually preferred the look and thought of having a Mahogany LP but went with the basswood because it's lighter. Sine then I have built a light weight out of Pawlonia to ease my old man shoulders:) Personally I think the sound of an electric has more to do with PU choice than wood choice. Welcome to the forum, have fun.
Tim Benware
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Thanks for all the great advice and insight you guys! I will be ordering an LP kit in the near future. I like all of the ideas thrown out here and I'm sure they'll all play a role.
Thanks again!
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I know nothing about LP's except they spin on a turn table, right? :>)
However, you are welcome around here Larry and I'll be watching as you get started.

Kevin
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:I know nothing about LP's except they spin on a turn table, right? :>)
However, you are welcome around here Larry and I'll be watching as you get started.

Kevin
Right Kevin... :-) I kind of wish I still had all my old Stones LP vinyl albums.