New from Florida

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
garrettrl24

New from Florida

Post by garrettrl24 »

Hello all
New to the forum but have been lurking for awhile .I am ready to start and can see this is the best place to get help.
I only play a little but I love to work with my hands, in the past I have done a little wood carving and lapidary. My current hobbies are racing radio control cars and building large scale radio control aircraft.(8 to 12 ft wingspan and 100 to 200 cc engines )
Can' wait to get started ,the only thing that is worrying me is the humidity here in fl,as my shop is not climate controlled. I will have to post on that soon.
I am very happy to be starting this journey , and I am sure I will need lots of help and hope I can be of some help to others in the future.

Thanks
Rick Garrett
B. Howard

Re: New from Florida

Post by B. Howard »

Welcome Rick.

To help with your first question, yes humidity control in the work and storage areas is very important in this craft. In Florida you likely just need a decent dehumidifier. 45% Rh should be your target. Anything else just ask, there are lot's of folks here to help you out.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

It won't take that much , a 60 pint should handle your area well. Also you won't have to run it 24 7 but do turn it on the night before you want to work on things .
RH is one of the least used pieces of info when building and can cause so many issues down the road. Once the top and back is braces you should be over the biggest RH hurdle.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Welcome Rick you are about to begin a journey that will take you places you probably never expected to go. This hobby is addicting to be sure for most guys. Be sure to talk to John at Blues Creek when you are ready to get your first kit, he will hook you up with just what you need to succeed.

Kevin