One From Minnesota

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
mnmusic

One From Minnesota

Post by mnmusic »

I've been interested in guitar building since I was in my 20's, I'm now in my 60's. I bought some tools quite some time ago but have never used them. I'm getting the itch to build a guitar and I have to tell you that the kits have come a long way since I last looked at them. I'll start with either a 000 or an OM short scale kit. I haven't quite decided yet. I recently purchase a parrot vise to start the tool acquisition going again. I have to acquire a fair amount of tools yet before I'll be ready to order a kit but I hope to get started on a kit in the March time frame.

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mnmusic on Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: One From Minnesota

Post by   »

Ed,
The Shop Fox deep reach C-clamps need some fettling so as not to mar the surface of what's being clamped. File the aluminum point of contact smooth and glue a piece of cork to it. Do the same to the opposing plastic point of contact. You won't regret it.
If you're looking to purchase more of them, keep a watch on Amazon. Those clamps are sometimes available as 'Used' for a low price.

Glad you found your way to the KGF. Welcome!

-tommy
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I also use the shop fox clamp. In all honesty with any clamp , use an old leather belt and cut yourself some small pieces to have as clamp pads. It can save you some work later .
One nice thing about getting old , I bet we all have at least 3 belts in the closet.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

tommyboy wrote:Ed,
The Shop Fox deep reach C-clamps need some fettling so as not to mar the surface of what's being clamped. File the aluminum point of contact smooth and glue a piece of cork to it. Do the same to the opposing plastic point of contact. You won't regret it.
If you're looking to purchase more of them, keep a watch on Amazon. Those clamps are sometimes available as 'Used' for a low price.

Glad you found your way to the KGF. Welcome!

-tommy
Thanks Tommy!
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

Which of the clamps are you guys referring to as a Shop Fox clamp? None of those clamps are Shop Fox brand. They all are probably more than 30 years old and I don't think Shop Fox was around back then. :D

Ed

Post by   »

That would be the deep reach aluminum clamp with the black twist handle.

-tommy
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

tommyboy wrote:That would be the deep reach aluminum clamp with the black twist handle.

-tommy
OK, thanks.

An unrelated question. Does it always take 2 days for a post to show up and do all posts have to be approved by a moderator?

Ed
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

mnmusic wrote:
tommyboy wrote:That would be the deep reach aluminum clamp with the black twist handle.

-tommy
OK, thanks.

An unrelated question. Does it always take 2 days for a post to show up and do all posts have to be approved by a moderator?

Ed
Replying to my own post. I guess I had to have a certain number of posts before I could post without moderation since my post above showed up immediately. Ignore my previous question since it has been answered.

Ed

Post by   »

First and second posts by new members require approval. Your second post never showed up in the Moderator queue. Sorry about that.

-tommy
penndan

Post by penndan »

Where in Minnesota are you?
I'm in Brooklyn Park/Minneapolis.
Dan