Hello from Louisville KY.

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
Shawnbrock

Hello from Louisville KY.

Post by Shawnbrock »

Hi Friends,

What a wonderful resource all of you are! It is a pleasure to be a part of the forum!

About Me:
Well, I’m 32, have been playing guitar for 23 years at this point. I’m mostly an acoustic guy these days, (that’s what I started with), though I have done a lot of time on the electric, and took up classical and flamenco about 5 years ago. I also play mandolin, and yes, am pretty much a bluegrass flat picker through in through. Most of my professional life was spent on the road as a sideman guitarist, but in 2004 I also started studying “piano technology”. I thought it was a good way to make a little extra money in the off months, and still be doing something related to music. I must have gotten pretty good at tuning/ repairing/ rebuilding pianos, because slowly I had to much work to go on the road. For the last year I have been the piano technician at the University of Louisville School of Music. So I know a thing or 2 about woodworking and guitar playing. I know a lot more about guitar repair and construction than the average guitarist, but have never built an acoustic guitar as of this writing. That is about to change…

Another point that you will find greatly entertaining is that I’m blind.  Now you will sit and wonder how the heck a guy who can’t see is a woodworker? Well, I’m not a woodworker for starts. Remember, I said I knew a thing or 2 about it though. However lots of blind wood workers are around, and it is something to ponder… I’m just enough of a wood worker to be comfortable with a table saw, drill press, sanders, jigsaws and any hand tools. I make/ modify a lot of piano parts, so most of the tools I have referenced are a necessity for that work. I stand clear of the ban saw and router, though other blind folks use them. The musician in me just doesn’t want to take that chance… So anyhow, I use a lot of talking gadgets, such as a talking micrometer, talking caliper and so on. I make or buy lots of templates which either are tactile, or I modify them to be tactile with the help of my sighted wife.

I may never become a slick builder like lots of you are, but I’ll at least make a few playable boxes and have a good time. At this point you are thinking, “This is cool!” Or, “That will never happen.” All I can say is only time will tell how it is going to work out. I have always wanted to build instruments, (that’s what put me into the piano business in the first place), and the way I see it is that it is time to dump or get off the pot. I have been hunkered-down in the weeds studying guitar construction for a long time now, and have my first Martin Kit coming for me to either butcher or build.  So that’s where I’m at, and I’m thankful to be here.

Oh, and the finishing work will be left up to my wife, or if I think the guitar has good potential, it will be finished by a pro. I’m crazy, but not out and certifiable.

Regards,
Shawn
tippie53

Re: Hello from Louisville KY.

Post by tippie53 »

welcome and we hope you learn a few things and share your progress. You learn more from failure than success so don't be afraid , we are here to help
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Shawn, building guitars seems like a great pursuit and would really like to hear how you are progressing on the kit build. You have the added advantage of being able to competently play your creation. Good luck.

Post by   »

Shawn,
Glad you found your way to KGF. Hope you learn a lot and participate in the discussions.

-tommy
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Glad to have you here, you'll do fine. Being blind isn't necessarily the handicap some might think. When I was a young apprentice woodworker one of my masters made me sand all my work while blindfolded. He said that if the work felt nice to the hand it would be pleasing to the eye. To this day I still do my final inspections before finishing with my fingers while looking away from my work.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com