Hello from Crystal City, Virginia

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
Rick Hall

Hello from Crystal City, Virginia

Post by Rick Hall »

Hi everyone. I am a new member of this forum and have the guitar building bug after making my first build earlier this year. It came when the local Woodcraft store had a guitar making class, where local luthier Mike Mears of Windy Hills Guitar Works came in to teach the class. I built a 00 acoutsic with Indian Rosewood B/S and a Sitka Spruce top. Mike not only taught us how to make the guitar, but he discussed the way wood is havested for guitars and the type of tonewood available. There were also long discussions on tools, techniques, and some real world experiences :D.

I enjoyed this class so much that I want to make more and more guitars. My issue currently is that I live in a 2 bedroom condo that doesn't provide me room for a proper shop set-up. However, I have decided not to use this as an excuse and I will build #2 shortly.

I am newly married (2.5 years) to my best friend and have a 23 year old son (from a previuos marriage) that is currently in the Air Force. He followed me in after I did 20+ years in the Air Force myself, traveling all over the world and finally resting here in the DC area upon retirement (jobs were plentiful). I am originally a Californian from Santa Cruz where I was born and raised for most of my childhood. Also spending some time from around 11 to 15 years of age in Medford, Oregon.

Besides playing and wanting to make guitars, my other hobby is playing golf and spending time with my beautiful wife.

Rick
tippie53

Re: Hello from Crystal City, Virginia

Post by tippie53 »

well guitars can give you an outlet for keeping hand and minds busy , along with spending money . We are all here to help. I have seen some very nice guitars made on limited space. My favorite was the bathroom work shop where the workbench was on the sink and over the commode and he could use the vent to help with dust.
Imagination is your best friend
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

I forget who it was who said that the finest guitars on earth are probably made in a shop the size of a closet, but it is most likely true. Welcome to the forum.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall »

Thank you for the warm welcomes John and Brian. I look forward to learning a lot from all of you more experienced luthiers and maybe even meeting up with some of you all. I have already joined both ASIA and GAL, since I live on the East coast, but also have family in Seattle and hope to move there some day.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hi there Rick, I'm late with the welcome, but it a warm welcome.
Glad to have you here, show us what you are doing when you can, we like to see.

Kevin