Another BC newbie

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
Stray Feathers

Another BC newbie

Post by Stray Feathers »

Hi all -

I'm from Ladysmith on Vancouver Island, BC. Long time player (not bad finger style) now hankering to make a guitar. My dilemma is what to make first but I will dive right in and post that separately because I have some specific questions. I have built a few houses, done some finishing work, had a fling with building model trains years ago, and am now in career number 29, making picture frames. So I have some experience but the whole prospect is still pretty daunting. And of course, the first guitar MUST be colossally phenomenally perfect . . .

Looking forward to learning more - have learned lots already by browsing before I joined.

Bruce
tippie53

Re: Another BC newbie

Post by tippie53 »

Figure your first guitar is going to be a learning process. Take your time and think things through. Learning to build a guitar is not as easy as one may think. The more I do this the more I know I can learn. Keep things simple on your first build. You don't know what you don't know till you know it , and we will be happy to help you learn.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Welcome Bruce and good luck.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Steve M.

Post by Steve M. »

Welcome Bruce! A great number of helpful folks here to help ya along the way. When the weather clears up I can see your island from mine, (Whidbey)!

Steve
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Bruce
Welcome. I have seen some amazing first guitars - my own was much better than expected. If you have some experience, then the physical stuff will be easier, but the conceptual stuff needs some thought.

As to what to build - there are a million guitars out there, so don't follow the Dreadnaught/000 path unless that is what you want. There is about the same amount of work regardless of what size or style you pick. Of course, decoration is added time no matter what you build.

Ed Minch
Ed M
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

tippie53 wrote:You don't know what you don't know till you know it
Hey john, who do you think you are? Yogi Berra?!
Tim Benware
Curt808

Post by Curt808 »

"Must be colossally and phenomenally perfect".......sounds like me haha. Hey Bruce, I just joined and posted my intro....great to know that there are so many people here at all levels. Looking forward to seeing your first builds progress....will be starting mine in a few months. I decided to start with the OM......cheers. Curt
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Bruce, sorry to be late with the welcome. WELCOME!
Glad you could join us all.

Kevin