Hello from Penticton B.C.

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
Datrek

Hello from Penticton B.C.

Post by Datrek »

Hello everyone, my name is Norm. I am about to attempt to build my first acoustic guitar using a kit I purchased from these fine folks at Blues Creek. I chose the Makore Martin 1939 spec. What I know about building guitars would not fill a thimble ( one of those metal things people put on the ends of their fingers when they sew). I have no tools to speak of. I have a friend who has built several stringed instruments to help guide me along, he also has some luthier tools and a place to work. By reading some of the old forum posts I get the impression finishing the guitar will be the biggest challenge. I just bought the kit today and it will take a couple of weeks to arrive. I have been dreaming of building guitars for a few years now. I finally have the time to pursue it. I could go to school and pay thousands of dollars to learn how to do this. I prefer to learn the old fashioned way...by trying to find people who are patient and willing to pass along knowledge and experience to those wanting to learn. Any of those types out there that can help make my first acoustic guitar project a success are most welcome. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. :D
tippie53

Re: Hello from Penticton B.C.

Post by tippie53 »

I am sure you will have lots of questions so don't be afraid to ask. We are here to help. That Makaore will look wild under a nice finish and the 12 fret 000 makes a sweet guitar. I hope you enjoy the journey
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

Post by   »

Hey Norm,
Glad to see you found your way to the KGF. We all enjoy looking at photos so please be sure to get your camera out and post photos of your progress.

-tommy
Datrek

Post by Datrek »

Yes I will post photos along the way. Not much to show yet, just a table and a couple of tools. I found a set of used luthier tools on ebay for $150 but I haven't bought them yet because I don't know if they are good or not. I see a bunch of files, a neck clamp, a c clamp, a plane, several hammers. Its on ebay under luthier supplies laid out on a green fabric. If any of you see this item maybe you can tell me if it is worth the money or not.
Thanks, Norm
Datrek

Post by Datrek »

The luthiers tools are on page 8 on ebay under luthiers supplies tab
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Welcome. And yes your suspicions are correct, there its building a guitar and then there is finishing it. Good luck and remember we are here to help.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com

Post by   »

Datrek wrote:The luthiers tools are on page 8 on ebay under luthiers supplies tab
Norm,
Could you give me the URL of that page?

-tommy
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Welcome Norm!
Slacker......
Datrek

Post by Datrek »

Datrek