New and I already have a question

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
Gerry

New and I already have a question

Post by Gerry »

Hello Kit Guitar members,
I brought a 000 kit Martin kit and the Bill Cory book last week and I already have a question.
I have some woodworking experience. I grew up in a family of carpenters. My father, grandfather and great grandfather were all carpenters. I also have a slew of cousins who are carpenters. The saying in the family is that it runs in the blood like wooden legs. I have no idea what that means.
I worked as a capenter, myself in my twenties (mostly additions and kitchens) but that was 30 odd years ago. I also have a bit of experience doing cabinetry and making furniture. Still, I realize that building a guitar will be more challenging that anything I have built in the past.
My first job after getting the kit was to build a mold. The mold is very close to the pattern provided in the kit. but I think I might have a problem. When I dry fit the sides in the mold they appear to be too short. They butt together at the tail but show a gap of about 3/16" at the neck joint. I don't think the heel of the neck will cover this. The sides are 3 3/8" wide and the heel of the neck is also 3 3/8". If the neck joint sits flush with the top, the gap will show below the heel of the neck and I don't think the binding will cover this.
Is this a problem or am I missing something? Is there an adjustment I need to make?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Gerry
Avondale, PA
tippie53

Re: New and I already have a question

Post by tippie53 »

Hi Gerry
you want the sides to fit as tight as possible. You didn't say if the mold is 1 or 2 piece? in any can an adjustment on the mold's center line will allow you to make this a perfect fit. In the perfect scenario the side will just lift about an 1/8 inch off the mold at the waist when you set them in. The spreader at the waist will make it fit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrgRKKsxL-M
this link should explain that and feel free to call . Sounds like you are going to have some fun.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

If you can not get it to fit in the mold, it would be better to push the gap to the tail as you will end up cutting more than that off for an end wedge, later in the process.
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Welcome to the forum Gerry. Looks like you got your first answer :-)
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com