New guy from so. Cal

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
Koczko

New guy from so. Cal

Post by Koczko »

Just wanted to introduce myself...been playing off and on for 10 years. Recently bought a lower end Martin dcpa5k and it sounds pretty good. However I wish I would of paid the extra $$$ money for the Martin I wanted. The last six months I got the itch to build a nice dread and been doing research. I've watched all of johns videos as well as others and feel I am ready. Been getting outbid on eBay...just waiting for the right kit...
JVan

Re: New guy from so. Cal

Post by JVan »

Welcome to the forum Koczko, Lots of people are here to help you with any questions you have.
I believe John @ Blues Creek can help you with a very high quality kit, and you wont have to worry 'bout being outbid! Some of the kits available on eBay are made up of a lot of seconds, so one must be careful. I started out with 3 of John's kits and all were very high end kits, plus I was able to get exactly what I wanted and John is always there to help!
Have fun!!

Jeff V
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I will tell you that I only will see the kits at but it now . Many of the seller of the "martin kit" are buying the parts that Steve ( ASAA ) and I won't. Also many of the kits do have mismatched parts so be very careful , cheap is not always the less cost.
When learning to build do yourself a favor and but an actual Martin kit to start , I sell them in my website or from Martin. Al least that way you are getting matched parts. The other seller I would say you can trust is Steve on ebay.
It is frustrating when the parts don't fit. Getting a kit at least helps you to see what the parts should look like so you can start to scratch build later.
good luck , I am sure you will hear more from the group. We are here to help
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Welcome to the forum Rancho Cucamonga. I am up the valley in Visalia.
Get Bill Cory's book, and buy one of John's kits and you will be set. Go slow, ask lots of questions and you will do fine.

Kevin
Koczko

Post by Koczko »

Thanks for the advice...I am currently watching ASAA listings and liking johns 000 maple kit.