Hello from Oregon

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
JimDandyinOR

Hello from Oregon

Post by JimDandyinOR »

Hello, everyone.

I'm a 58-year-old, retired teacher and principal, and I play in a 3-piece rock band. I have experience woodworking and finishing, but I've never built a guitar before.

I'm going to be building the DIY electric semi-hollow-body (Gibson ES-335) look-alike. It's got a flame maple front and back, which I'm going to finish in a high-gloss blue-black burst. The mahogany core will be stained black. The maple neck will be black at the bottom, fading to blue at the top, and I'll finish it with tung oil, with which I'll also treat the fretboard. The headstock will be blue burst, as well, and feature a lotus flower carving.

The pick guard, knobs, strap buttons, pickups & wraps will be black, while the tailpiece, bridge, and tuners will be chrome. I've ordered considerable upgrades of all the hardware, including an Xtrem tremolo tailpiece.

It'll be a sweet ax if I don't screw it up.

It's nice to join you.

Jim Dandy
tippie53

Re: Hello from Oregon

Post by tippie53 »

have fun with it and post lots of pix . I built a les paul from a saga kit and upgrade to gibson 1957 pick ups. It is a sweet geetar.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

GO Jim Dandy!
Tim Benware
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hi Jim and welcome. I'm close by down here in Cali. We don't get to see alot of solid bodies built so do share pics as you move along. We all love to see the work being done.

Kevin