Introduction

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
rstbkt

Introduction

Post by rstbkt »

Hello everyone. I'm Jim from Southern California. I have been making sawdust for quite some time and have figued its time to give building a guitar a shot. Been pouring over the internet for about a year trying to decide a direction I wanted to take. So I figure I would take the plunge and just build from scratch. i have an abundant supply of Ash, different species of maple, Cherry, western red Cedar and Birch, Oak (yuck) left over form various projects from over the years. Most of it not big enough for the furniture I like to build. So Instead of crying when my exotic wood decides I did something wrong and splits, I figured I would save the traditional tone wood till after I get some experience. Heck it may take some work dimensioning the wood but its already here waiting to be utilized.
I'm going to laminate the neck in maple, walnut and some wierd brown -burnt orange lumber someone gave me. i don't even know what it is. Just a few small pieces of walnut. cant do much with what I have
But for the soundboard back and sides I just keep bouncing around. I have a Seagull in wild cherry that I really love the look but I have been drawn to some of the Dean maple and ash guitars. So would anyone lke to chime in and make a suggestion. After thinking about something for such a long time you just get everything stuffed in the cobwebs and now nothing looks good. For style I have a print out of a Taylor 12 something not a lot of text on it Not a real plan Either. I like the shape but I am not going to make the cutout. Plus the extra size gives me some wiggle room as I build. my goal is to progress one day to a mahogany and rosewood build. Even though I will put all I have inside of me into this wood and would hope they sound good I know that some tonal qualities will not be there. But the fun of the build will be the same.
JP

Re: Introduction

Post by   »

Hey JP,
Glad to see you found your way to the KGF. Sounds as if you're ready to take the plunge. Feel free to ask questions, answer questions and disagree. Oh, one other thing....pictures. Post those pictures.

-tommy
rstbkt

Post by rstbkt »

i was looking around the forum and didn't see a joke area to post pics. LOL
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.
Tim Benware
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

howdy Jim.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
JVan

Post by JVan »

Welcome Jim from So. Cal! , Greetings from the flat lands of Indiana!

Jeff
rstbkt

Post by rstbkt »

Thanks everyone, I have already jumped right in.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

hey Jim, welcome. Central Valley here up in Visalia.
Sounds like you could make a nice all American guitar with the wood you have there. Nothing wrong with that.

Kevin
rstbkt

Post by rstbkt »

Thanks Kevin. I have the B&S and soundboard pieces cut and ready to go. just letting it stabalize a bit. I was tempetd to use some quilted maple for the top but it is such a pretty piece I decided to wait till my second or 3rd build. Western black cherry for the sides. I was going to use some birch for the bracing and found out that the wood had been infested with worms at one time. There were a few entry holes and I knew about them before I bought it. But what was inside did not match the outside. Cut it all into strips of 1/4, 5/16 and 1/2. I had to throw away half of what I processed. LOL i wonder if the worm tunnels will enhance the sound. Maybe I should get the pieces I threw away. LOL