Hallo fra Oslo, Norway

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
jared

Hallo fra Oslo, Norway

Post by jared »

Hi guys. I'm from the good ole US of A. Alabama actually. Moved over to Norway a few years back for love. And its cold here today... actually -2 right now. Anyone want to come try it out? hehe. I miss my southern sun!

I am currently building my first. Using my luthier friend's shop here in town, so nice of him to allow me the privilege.

I am building an OM.
-Carpathian spruce
-Honduran Mahogany
-Braz RW headplate
-Fingerboard/Bridge .. (still a toss up if I'll choose RW either Ebony)
-14 fret
-Varnish finish
-Pre-war x bracing but with tapered bracing

I'm currently finishing up the bracing of the top. I'll make a new post soon in the scratch build section showing pics and what all is coming along.

Thanks for having me, and always nice to read up on the forum here to see what all is going down. So many good tips!
tippie53

Re: Hallo fra Oslo, Norway

Post by tippie53 »

enjoy the journey we are here to help
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

Post by   »

jared wrote:Hi guys. I'm from the good ole US of A. Alabama actually. Moved over to Norway a few years back for love. And its cold here today... actually -2 right now. Anyone want to come try it out? hehe. I miss my southern sun!
-2???
Jared, I hope you're getting paid a lot to endure that temp extreme.
Welcome to the Forum and keep in mind we all like seeing photos of other members' projects.
-tommy
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

At least your beer won't get warm
Beersicles
Homers Favorite
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Welcome. Norway....must be some nice spruce nearby.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
jared

Post by jared »

tommyboy wrote:
jared wrote:Hi guys. I'm from the good ole US of A. Alabama actually. Moved over to Norway a few years back for love. And its cold here today... actually -2 right now. Anyone want to come try it out? hehe. I miss my southern sun!
-2???
Jared, I hope you're getting paid a lot to endure that temp extreme.
Welcome to the Forum and keep in mind we all like seeing photos of other members' projects.
-tommy

yes tommy, i'm paid well. i need it due to Oslo being in the top 3 of most expensive cities in the world. prices here are ridiculous. i know of about 2 good custom builders here in Norway, and their base price for their guitars start around $6000, and prob no one has heard of them back in the States. they have to charge high to stay afloat in this high taxed country to afford anything. can you hear that i miss Alabama? :)
but on another note... in the summers the temps hover around 80, with no high humidity. i dont miss 102 in Alabama with the thick humidity. but ive learned here in the winter you must ALWAYS keep your guitars on their cases all the time with plenty of humidifiers in the case, and you must add more water to them everyday, they become that dry. i just checked my guage in my Martin D-18 case and it reads 30%. yikes... need to add more sponges in ziplock bags in there to get that number up.
but its a good country here. free healthcare. when you have a child the mother gets to stay home for a whole year and get paid full salary for it. the father gets 12 weeks. so there are a few up things about living here, but i do miss my good ole of A.
i'll post the pics ive got so far on my phone, theyre not great but theyll do for now.
jared

Post by jared »

B. Howard wrote:Welcome. Norway....must be some nice spruce nearby.
plenty of spruce here. plenty of trees everywhere in this whole country. theres only 5 million people in all of Norway, so the rest of the land is populated with trees. i've yet to find a supplier around here with wood for guitar building, my luthier gets his from the States, Germany, or Ukraine. but theres got to be somebody around here doing it. just a small country so word would get round pretty fast i would think.
jared

Post by jared »

here's some low quality pics from my phone... more will be coming soon..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jared

Post by jared »

more pics added.. bracing started, and pearl inlay from Custom Pearl Inlay-- they do a great job btw.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by   »

Hey Jared,

Looks like you're well on your way to a great guitar.
Enjoying your photos and commentary.

-tommy