Howdy from Houston, Texas

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
cooltouch

Howdy from Houston, Texas

Post by cooltouch »

I ran across this site while googling for more information on guitar kits, and it seemed like a no-brainer that I should join, so I did.

I've never built a guitar from a kit before. But I have built a number of guitars. I learned how to build from scratch about eight years ago, and have specialized in classical guitars, although I have built one steel-string acoustic, but it was strictly for my own use. In recent years, for a few reasons, I have not been active, but I'm looking to ramp up my activity again.

However, my desire right now is not to build another acoustic. but to build at least one electric. I have several electric guitars already, one of which I had dedicated for use with my Roland GR-33 guitar synthesizer. It's a Stratocaster -- my only one -- and I've grown tired of not being able to put it back into its case because of the bulk of the Roland HK-2a pickup. So, I've decided to build a solid-body electric that will be, in a sense, slaved to the Roland. I've been looking at several different kits as possibilities, but right now the highest on my list will be a PRS-looking solidbody with a set 24-fret neck. I mentioned that I'd like to build "at least one" electric because I also would like to own a nice Les Paul, but don't know when or if I'll ever be able to afford the one I want. I can build one like I want from a kit for probably about $300, maybe a tad more.

After all the exacting and painstaking work involved in building classicals from scratch, honestly I'm kinda looking forward to building a set-neck electric. I want a set neck as opposed to a bolt-on so there will be at least a teeny bit of a challenge. But it appears that the rest of the build, with the exception of the finish, of course, is pretty much gonna involve just bolting stuff on, screwing stuff down, and maybe doing a bit of soldering. It'll be a refreshing change of pace, I'm thinking.

So anyway, glad to be here, and I'll see y'all in the forums.
Best,
Michael

Live to Play, Play to Live
tippie53

Re: Howdy from Houston, Texas

Post by tippie53 »

Hope you enjoy your time here. We are here to help so please feel free to ask any question you need to. We all have to start somewhere so please , use this forum and enjoy.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hi Michael, and welcome.
Would you like to show us some pics of your classicals? I know everyone would like to see.
Glad you are here.

Kevin
cooltouch

Post by cooltouch »

Thanks, guys. Hey, Kevin, I'll have to look. I'm on my laptop right now and all my guitar images are on my desktop, so I'll have a look next time I fire it up.
Best,
Michael

Live to Play, Play to Live
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Welcome. cant wait ti see what you have in mind, it sounds real interesting.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com