Building in Michigan

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
Gus

Building in Michigan

Post by Gus »

I decided to join this site because it has contained useful information.
I'm a frustrated guitar player and have found building more fulfilling. I have built four different kits so far: Martin D, Stewmac 000, and KMG 000 and 00. All have turned out well.
I have been encouraged by my cousin's son, Tom Doerr, who builds full time, a neighbor who has built a couple and lends me tools, and several of the generous luthiers around Galax, Virginia.
My biggest success is the walnut KMG 000. I took it down to the Blueridge and showed it to Wayne Henderson. He was enthusiastic about it and played it for 20 minutes. It will never sing in my hands like it did in his. Luckily, I have several neighbors who play well and stop by.
I have several other kits and sets of parts waiting to be built, but my goal is to go from scratch. I'm confident in everything but sculpting the neck.
I hate the finishing process. I have worked with lacquer, shellac & oil, and water base. I like shellac & oil best because of the sound and the minimal toxicity.
The biggest problem I have right now is having too many guitars. I sold several factory built through consignment at a local shop. Mine sound and play better than the factory builts. I hope yours do too!

I wish the other builders on this sight skill and luch.
tippie53

Re: Building in Michigan

Post by tippie53 »

Wayne is a character . If you can't like Wayne you won't like anybody. Hope you enjoy the forum. We are here to help
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com