Hello from San Diego

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
gsr

Hello from San Diego

Post by gsr »

I recently joined the forum and would like to introduce myself. I am a 52 years old and a cabinet maker by trade with a lifelong love of music. I play bass in a band with an old friend, his nephew, my son and the drummer from our church praise band (of which I'm a member as well.) I started out making fender style necks for my son's partscasters. This progressed into complete electric guitars and basses. A semi hollow PRS/ES335 build became the stepping stone to side bending and carving an archtop jazzbox. I have since built 2 steel string acoustics. I am completely self taught with, of course, much knowledge obtained from the interweb and forums like this. I particularly like to discover newer, more accurate ways of doing things with a small shop and limited expenditures. My upcoming build is a slightly rounded, modern dreadnaught. I found a beautiful piece of african mahogany with gorgeous beeswing shimmer. I like to use carbon fibre reinforcing in my necks and like to 'push the design envelope' just a little with each new project. I have great respect for tradition, but a little quest for innovation can be satisfying. I will try to post when I have something worthy to add to the forum. Thank you, Glen
tippie53

Re: Hello from San Diego

Post by tippie53 »

welcome to the forum I hope you find this a good place for information . We are here to help
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
darren

Post by darren »

Welcome Glen, we'd love to see some photos of your projects, especially the archtop.

I was in Pt.Loma from 96-00. Still miss the marine layer :)
Darren
gsr

Post by gsr »

darren wrote:Welcome Glen, we'd love to see some photos of your projects, especially the archtop.

I was in Pt.Loma from 96-00. Still miss the marine layer :)
I will post some. I'm in the east county in La Mesa. Lately the marine layer has given way to muggy, tropical flow from down south. It has been a sweaty summer here. Pt. Loma and areas right on the coast are the place to be. Thanks for the warm welcomes, Glen