East Coast - first time builder

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
ctgblue

East Coast - first time builder

Post by ctgblue »

I'm kind of an old guy. Well, not in mind, and I can outlift most younger guys, but still almost 50. And still not accepting that my last name isn't Vai, or Satriani, or Gilbert...

I have had guitars since 1977, playing on and off.

I've done the college band thing, the biker bar house band, and the nashville recording studio stuff as well.
Didn't go anywhere big, but had a lot of fun.

I'm am currently revamping a Squier Tele, replacing all the parts but the neck and body.

Then I am moving on to my first partscaster. Black walnut over mahogany body, maple neck, still deciding on hardware. Hardtail (I hate strat trems) body style, inserts instead of wood screws for the attachment of the neck. I am going to tung oil this one, it's too pretty to screw it up with my bad clearcoat job.

I notice this seems to have a lot of info on accoustic, but I am an electric guy and too clumsy to work on an accoustic.

I'll drop in from time to time, especially if this build goes well and I get hooked.
I work hard and play hard. I lift heavy, ride a motorcycle, and play metal. I'm soon to be 'grandpa'.
If it's too loud you're too old. . . Crap, it's starting to get a little loud...

Re: East Coast - first time builder

Post by   »

Welcome aboard from another East Coaster.
-tommy
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Not sure where you are from but if you are close to Hegins PA we are having an open house at Blues Creek Guitars
come on up and meet fellow guitar makers
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I build both and there's a lot of crossover processes between electric and acoustic. You'll find some good info here. Maybe even give you some confidence to put a spray finish on those guitars.
Tim Benware
ctgblue

Post by ctgblue »

Ben-Had wrote:I build both and there's a lot of crossover processes between electric and acoustic. You'll find some good info here. Maybe even give you some confidence to put a spray finish on those guitars.
I'd have to do 'rattle can' and really, there's no place to do this. Garage is full. I thought about a clear laquer, but am pretty sure I'd just ruin a nice guitar body, or be sanding until the cows come home, to sit on my guitar....
I work hard and play hard. I lift heavy, ride a motorcycle, and play metal. I'm soon to be 'grandpa'.
If it's too loud you're too old. . . Crap, it's starting to get a little loud...
ctgblue

Post by ctgblue »

tippie53 wrote:Not sure where you are from but if you are close to Hegins PA we are having an open house at Blues Creek Guitars
come on up and meet fellow guitar makers
Wish I was, I'm in upstate SC.
I lived in the N KY Cinci area in the mid-late 90's and loved the blues scene there. There is absolutely no music scene in the area. Definitely no open jams.