Hi from Boston

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
awaldrop

Hi from Boston

Post by awaldrop »

Hi, name's Andy. This will be my first build on a dread from lmi. Woodworking skills are so-so, but I've always been a tinkerer and can usually figure out how to fix my own mistakes without reaching my weekly allotment of cursing.

I tell my friends that I'm in the research phase, doing a lot of reading, Cumpiano, Cory, forums, etc., but really I'm in the procrastination phase, the wood has been acclimating in my shop for about a month. It's ready, but my heart appears to be a little timid. I'm good at making excuses, "let me read how to shape the end block again," "I should probably go out and buy a new tool, I might need it later," "Do I have enough clamps?" (The answer to that last one is always a resounding, "No!") Truth is, it's so pretty I'm afraid to start cutting it. Can't mess up what you don't start right?

Sorry about that, didn't mean to invite you all to my pity party. Same kind of thing happens every time I get in a pool; I get so worried about my undercarriage gettin' chilly, that I forget how much I like to swim. I'll get over it and jump in soon. I look forward to learning from all the collective knowledge here in the forum. Thanks in advance for for sharing your years of experience, without it I'd continue to wade around in the shallow end of the pool, watching all the big kids play.

Cheers,
-Andy W
tippie53

Re: Hi from Boston

Post by tippie53 »

you never finish one if you don't start , expect to make some mistakes and if you learn from them ,they are not mistakes but learning opportunities.
we are here to help
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Andy, was that 'Cheers' in your signature any reference to 'Cheers - the tv show from Boston' up on Beacon Hill?
awaldrop

Post by awaldrop »

deadedith wrote:Andy, was that 'Cheers' in your signature any reference to 'Cheers - the tv show from Boston' up on Beacon Hill?
Ha, no, wasn't intended to be. Haven't thought about that show in a long time. Although the bar used as the facade for the series is still on Beacon Hill, it's a terrible tourist trap, even 20 years after the last episode.

Original intention of "cheers" was a friendlier valediction than "thanks"

-Andy
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Hi Andy! Welcome to the forum. I think most of us were in your shoes at first. I accumulated enough wood and tools for 5 guitars before I decided to get started. Procrastination city.
I think the hardest thing is knowing where to start. What to work on first. There are so many things to do. But I think the first thing is to realize that you don't have to do everything at once. Do little tasks one at time. Start with something easy like tracing the bracing pattern onto your top or installing the marker dots on your fretboard. Once you get started you'll get into the swing of it and you just might not be able to stop. I guarantee you that once you have the neck and tail blocks glued on and start glueing the kerfing on and see it taking shape you'll be unstoppable.
I still have yet to finish one but I have four on the go and it's great fun.
Alain