A few days overdue

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
kjwilks

A few days overdue

Post by kjwilks »

Hi everyone!

I submitted my first post a few days ago about a stewmac kit that I just started, and never really introduced myself.

My name is Kevin, I have been playing guitar for about six years now and this week I started my first acoustic guitar. This is not my first guitar though, I am coming to a close on a Telecaster Thinline style guitar that is now about three or four years in the making. I am hoping that this acoustic guitar doesn't take that long, but we'll see.

I just finished my second year of college last week. I am studying civil engineering at Michigan Tech, and I have the first two weeks of summer free until I start my second co-op at Michigan DOT, where I will likely be working overtime (last year averaged 51 hours a week). They wouldn't let me start yet because they have to wait for the mandatory drug test results, so I will get as much done as I can in these two weeks. Who knows how much motivation I will have after working 10-12 hours, but hopefully enough to make this guitar in due time.

I don't have a ton of experience in guitar building, so I guess I'm here more to learn from you guys than to share my own tips. But I guess that's the beauty of these communities, I can learn from you all, and then maybe in a few years, I can teach new people like myself. Between this forum for acoustic guitars and TDPRI for electric guitars, I just might find myself someday making guitars for a living with an unused civil engineering degree =P (although I doubt it)

Best of luck to you all, and may the woodgrain be with you!
Kevin

"Love, it will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free."
-Mumford & Sons