Hello from CT

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
Ignatz-77AB

Hello from CT

Post by Ignatz-77AB »

Hi everybody. I'm happy to have found this forum (via a phone conversation with John Hall). I'm building my first OM from a StewMac kit (maple B&S). I have built two classical guitars, one flamenco guitar, and six or so T-type guitars before. The flamenco and the classicals were built in the traditional Spanish solera style, but now I want to get away from that approach and learn about dovetails and bolt-on necks for the future (plus I play steel string, so there's that). The StewMac is a bolt on kit. I will probably try a dovetail kit next before venturing into a full build on my own. In any event, it's great to be here; it seems like a fantastic source of information!

Paul Allopenna
jread

Re: Hello from CT

Post by jread »

Hi and welcome. You've come to the right place. This forum is a national treasure trove of info and discussions on building using traditional and self-reliant methods. Great people here and we love picts and progress reports. Don't be shy.

-john

ps. I grew up in Harwinton CT and went to UCONN in what seems like a very long time ago now. I still try to get back there to visit every so often, generally down near Mystic.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Welcome to our forum! There’s tons of info and lots of very helpful folks. Get some coffee, there’s an enormous amount of great things to read.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

we are here to help
enjoy and learn. Don't forget share your experiences. Sometimes you learn more from the failures than the successes
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Srick

Post by Srick »

West Hartford resident here. Have built my first StewMac kit just this year. Prior to that, I did a bit of repair work on my own instruments.

Rick
And you know there's a YouTube video of a guy in Mexico who builds a guitar only using a machete, right?
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Welcome Paul. As others have said, there is a lot of information here. As an added advantage, the professionals here are VERY generous with their knowledge. Everyone seems ready to jump in and help.
Wish you the best.
BlindBo
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Granby resident here. More of us than we thought when we started.
peter havriluk