Greetings from NY/Kenya

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
83glt242

Greetings from NY/Kenya

Post by 83glt242 »

Hello everyone,

Very nice to finally join.

I am currently posted abroad for work but have a home in NY. I'll be starting a Martin kit soon and will likely be posting from both locations over the course of the build. Fortunately, I have most of the tools I need here in Kenya with me to get on with the job.

While home in the US in summer 2021 I picked up a vintage Martin D-28 kit off CL for next to nothing. The seller said his uncle bought it back in the "1960s or 1970s" and never got around to building the kit. Did Martin sell kits that far back? I'm curious if anyone knows the true age of the kit. I know it's pre-1985 or so because it came with the hollow reinforcement bar, not an adjustible truss rod. The only other clue is the package for the guitar strings, which should help date the kit to a certain "era".

Anyway, I've attached a couple photos to help for identification. Any information will be much appreciated!

I'll be starting a separate build thread with more details and to document my progress.

Until then, very nice to be here and thank you for maintaining this incredible resource!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Greetings from NY/Kenya

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. You'll find us a very friendly group always willing to help. So, don't be afraid to ask questions. I think John Hall might be able to answer your question about your kit. It's got some beautiful wood. I hope you have a lot of fun here.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

Welcome!
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Welcome! Great to have you contributing. Very interesting kit, it will be nice to follow your build. Good luck!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City