I have a "I must be getting old" question

What're You Doing?
Kevin Sjostrand

I have a "I must be getting old" question

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

So as best I can remember, I've always neck and end blocks that I've cut with vertical grain, which runs parallel to the grain of the sides. Today I read that some folks use blocks with horizontal grain that runs the same direction as the sides. The reason??
Well, for one, it's better for them to match the sides when there is humidity issues. The idea that it will all move together. Hmmm. The other idea is that the vertical grain blocks mean you are gluing the top and back onto END GRAIN. Oh my gosh!
So. What should I do? When I first started building I bought the blocks from a supplier and I can't remember what the grain orientation was, but I'm quite sure since I started making my own they've been vertical. For probably 15 guitars, with no issues I'm aware of.

If they should be horizontal grain, where do you get mahogany or in my case sometimes Spanish cedar in 4 or 5" width boards ( which will give you the height you need), and up to 1.5" or so thick for a neck block??

What are you guys all doing? Thanks for your help with my delema.
tippie53

Re: I have a "I must be getting old" question

Post by tippie53 »

I have seen them all different ways. I prefer grain running with the side. The side way grain is more split resisitant with dovetails
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Thanks John. I can see how that would be especially in a "dropped" situation.
I guess I have 4x3x6 neck blocks I can use to get 4" tall blocks and less fir the OM. May need to glue a piece for taller Dread blocks.
Kevin Sjostrand

Okay I've got it figured out at least fir my next OM.
I'm making a Spanish cedar neck and I just got a 3x4x6 block of SC for this purpose, I just wasn't looking at how I'd cut for horizontal grain. I can get 3 neck blocks and 4 heel blocks all 4" tall. Works for OM.

I also am now doing screw down fretboard extensions and the way I'm doing them these blocks will work for Dreadnaught neck blocks too. I'll have to use some other strong light weight wood for heel blocks on the dreads. Maybe I'll try birch plywood.

Thanks.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

I've been making blocks out of pieces too short for anything else, might need to trim a little off when I actually use them, some pics....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.