Removing Fret Dots

What're You Doing?
Dobroguy

Removing Fret Dots

Post by Dobroguy »

What's the best way to remove a couple of fret board dots that are already glued in with CA? I don't want to damage the wood in the process.

This is for my twin Dobro project where there needs to be a small screw under the dot, which "permanently" hold the end of the fret board down to the body.
Dots.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Gleason

Re: Removing Fret Dots

Post by Bob Gleason »

I think this came up here before, but could have been another forum. The answers had some tricky ways to do it.I have had to do it a few times. I simply use an awl and a hammer. A quick, controlled whack in the center of the pearl dot splits it into pieces. The pieces are easy to dig out. After the pearl pieces are gone, you can carefully clean out the glue on the drill press. Easy to mess that part up, so caution is advised.-Bob
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

You could try a hot soldering iron on the dot first to break down the glue. I don;t know how much that would help, but it shouldn't hurt anything.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Dobroguy

Post by Dobroguy »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will definitely be careful by trying to remove one from a piece of scrap wood first.
I can always leave thing as they are and glue down the FB with a couple of spots of glue.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I drill them out.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I'm with John. Center punch the dot, drill a pilot hole, see if the dot pries out with a nail in the pilot hole, and if it's stubborn, drill again..
peter havriluk