Truss Rod Question

What're You Doing?
SColumbusSt

Truss Rod Question

Post by SColumbusSt »

]I'm on my second build and the truss rod configuration is different on this one and has been causing me all kinds of problems. My first build was a Stew Mac kit and the instructions were to install the truss rod and glue the fingerboard to the neck prior to fitting the neck. Not really thinking things through I did the same with my current build (a Blues Creek kit) and found the truss rod prevented me from fitting the neck.

After a lot of work with a hot clothes iron and a palette knife I managed to remove the fretboard but I'm still not sure I'm doing the right thing with the neck. If the neck is off of the guitar the truss rod sits perfectly in the channel and the fingerboard goes right on top with no fight. If the neck is fitted to the guitar the truss rod juts out at a 15 degree angle or so. If I clamp the fingerboard to the neck to hold the truss rod down everything looks tight and the neck angle is right on but it just seems to me the truss rod should be laying flush in the channel. I tried to remove some top wood below the dovetail to see if that would give the truss rod some room but still the same problem. Any ideas or should I not worry about it?

Keith
SColumbusSt

Re: Truss Rod Question

Post by SColumbusSt »

Figured out how to post a photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I'd be asking the kit vendor for advice over the phone.
peter havriluk
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

this is the old Martin 1 way truss rod
you have to cut YES cut the popsicle brace
this is ok and safe Martin did that for years
feel free to call me if you need to
I just scored a few old martin kits so I am very familiar with this design
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
SColumbusSt

Post by SColumbusSt »

OK, thanks. I cut a slot in the top down to the popsicle brace but stopped there. I'll keep going little by little until it fits properly. I'm not sure how old the kit is as I bought it second hand from someone who decided they would never get around to it and had clearly had it for some time.

I appreciate the quick replies.

Keith
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

actually you go to about the truss rod brace
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
SColumbusSt

Post by SColumbusSt »

Thanks, it worked! Truss rod is nicely settled in the slot now. How close to the nut should the end of the truss rod be? I've got it about an inch below the nut. Tested and I can reach the truss rod nut through the soundhole.

Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.