Neck angle and bolt issue

What're You Doing?
sorengyllstrom

Neck angle and bolt issue

Post by sorengyllstrom »

Hello

Well into my second build which has gone ok with the usual million flaws ( ;) ) I've come across a hurdle to which I can only think of two ways of coming across. The guitar is a dreadnought. The method of attaching the neck is a straight up no dovetail or mortise and tenon bolt on (used it before and it works great). Tried to string it up to determine the saddle placement and to my surprise the neck angle is a bit off. Quite a bit actually.

I've tried to sand the underside of the heel closest to the fretboard/top to make slight adjustments and see where it goes. And that could be a solution if it wasn't for the fact that my brass insert in that area is now all the way up to the top. If this is the best way to go, does anyone have an idea for me to remove the insert (no ca glue has been used to seal the inside of the hole yet)? Then I could drill the hole a bit deeper thus making room for removing more materiale to make the angle just right.

I can create a correct angle when slipping some material under the opposite end of the heel (see picture). Could I make a hardwood shim that fits or is this a total no-go?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

/Søren
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: Neck angle and bolt issue

Post by tippie53 »

when you do a bolt on you want to use 2 bolts.
You may be able to save this neck with the 2nd bolt. You may have this bolt too high.
install the 2nd bolt
also I see you didn't use a tenon I strongly recommend you use them in the future
you can get a threaded insert at home depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/E-Z-LOK-Thr ... /309572726
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Try this to remove the insert

Put a nut on a bolt - mine are 1/4-20. Run the bolt all the way into the insert, then run the nut down on top of the insert and tighten with a wrench.. Use the wrench to back out the bolt and the insert should come with it.

1) This is how I insert my inserts. Cut the head off a long bolt - long for good reference with the square. Run 2 nuts on and tighten to each other, drive the insert with a wrench on the top nut. The nuts regulate the bolt depth in the insert. You would use a bolt with a head and one nut tightened against the insert for removal.

2) I always go a bit deeper to prevent just what happened to you
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the easiest way to pull the insert is a drop of CA on a bolt turn it in let set 5 min back out.
hold a match to the insert that releases the glue and you should be able to reuse the insert.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
banjopicks

Post by banjopicks »

tippie53 wrote:the easiest way to pull the insert is a drop of CA on a bolt turn it in let set 5 min back out.
hold a match to the insert that releases the glue and you should be able to reuse the insert.
Brilliant!