17th and above frets... High E string issue

What're You Doing?
Diane Kauffmds

Re: 17th and above frets... High E string issue

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

That would be an intonation problem and several things can lead to this. First check that you don't have a fret or two sanded too low. This happens from repeated leveling. I've done this on one of my first guitars. It comes from correcting a high fret, that's actually caused from the fretboard not being leveled.

I found that when leveling fretboards, it's best to chalk the board and sand from one direction only, until the chalk disappears. This way, you won't end up with a dip in the board from sanding back and forth. This dip causes frets below that point, to be higher, therefore fretting out. You correct this by lowering the fret(s) to the point that they aren't high enough to do their job.

Most likely, this is your culprit.

The other reasons are the frets being cut in the wrong position, not being rounded on the top (skewed one direction or the other). But since you notice that it's that far off, ten dollars to a doughnut, you've sanded one or more frets too flat.

My recommendation is to pull all frets, chalk your board, and level the board again, sanding in one direction only, until the chalk disappears. I'd be willing to bet that you'll see one or two low spots very quickly. You'll correct the problem with your relevel. Then, fret again.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I took some photos to demonstrate what I mean about the low spots for someone else. This fretboard is on the guitar. I use flat plastic with a cutout that covers the top to protect it.
PicsArt_05-22-08.32.08.jpg
PicsArt_05-23-06.25.58.jpg
PicsArt_05-22-09.13.46.jpg
PicsArt_05-23-06.26.59.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Monts

Post by Monts »

Danl8 wrote:This might be a good topic for a Zoom meeting. :-) It's not unusual for high register frets to intone slightly sharp especially in higher action set ups, but to go steps higher defies laws of physics. The 18th, 19th or 20th fret could be the culprit.
Got it, 19th fret!! It was very hard to tell, I had to use a feeler gauge to actually realize the string was on it. It was fretting and ringing out same pitch as 19th. Hit it with the file for a few and all is well! All notes playing proper!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

good to know you got it fixed
thanks Diane for passing on the right info
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

They can be a booger to locate sometimes. You did good finding and correcting it!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars