Use of veneers for building

What're You Doing?
PSmill

Use of veneers for building

Post by PSmill »

A friend offered me some macassar ebony veneer, 4 sheets or so 8" wide by about 2 feet long. It's quite nice. I was wondering what people suggest as to how veneers should or shouldn't be used on guitars. Can they be applied to sides before bending, layered and used for rosettes or peghead veneer? Other good applications? Thanks.
phavriluk

Re: Use of veneers for building

Post by phavriluk »

Before any responses make any sense, how thick are these veneer sections?
peter havriluk
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

Peghead and rosettes for sure.
I used some walnut veneer to make a pickguard too.
They can be useful to use to laminate to something as well (I’m using some mahogany to back up some really squirrelly cherry), but Ebony is kind of fancy to use for structural purposes.
PSmill

Post by PSmill »

I did ask but the guy I got it from just got his car hit and run so he hasn't replied.....but in terms of thickness it's not like thick pegged veneer (1/16" or so), it' more like real thin veneer sheets for veneering maybe 1/64" thick? I'm just going by looking at the photos
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I have several very thin veneers. I use them for rosettes, repairs, and reinforcement for soundports. It's a great way to get beautiful woods for the rosettes.

Here are examples. It sounds like the veneers you're looking at are pretty thick; mine are very thin.

I use small pieces of double sided tape. I tape each corner and the center to a piece of board, then I cut out the rosettes. I inlay them in the top. Just make sure you place a board over them and weigh it down. It'll keep the rosette from curling or raising, while the glue dries.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
PSmill

Post by PSmill »

Nice! Tnx