clamping top-bottom in a mold

What're You Doing?
Monts

clamping top-bottom in a mold

Post by Monts »

My first build I used the interior cardbaord method with a home made wood waist clamp and used spool clamps to do glue the top and bottom. It was fine, but I really liked the idea of working out of a nice exterior mold so I decided to use it on my second build. It's so much nicer to work out of but I did not think ahead as to how I'm going to clamp top and bottom. Obviously I can use a bunch cam clamps but I don't have nearly enough. and I already have a set of spool clamps. Can I drill holes in the mold? Do all of you use all cam clamps if you work out of the mold? That's a lot of $$$ especially when I already bought a set of spool clamps! Any suggestions?
Monts

Re: clamping top-bottom in a mold

Post by Monts »

I just watched some videos, I will more than likely just clamp neck and tailblock area and then remove it from the mold and spool clamp the rest.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I've been using these spring clamps, the same ones, for more than 30 years. Incredibly good and versatile. The same size clamps work for anything from ukes to guitars. Just bend them to size. They have not changed in spring tension ever. They are made from the largest spring ring in a boxspring. You need a bolt cutter. A hacksaw is a real pain. I've made a number of sets of these for builders. Boxsprings are available very cheap at some 2nd hand stores. It's a messy job, but only takes a couple of hours to make a lifetime supply of clamps. As much as I like these, I have had very little success convincing others to use them. Too hoaky looking I guess. A lot of builders think you can't do the job unless you have a lot of official looking clamps! Their loss. These are phenomenal clamps. You can hold enough clamps in one hnd to do an entire side. On the ends I have 1/2" dowel pieces. Just drilled slightly tight holes have way through the dowels and push the spring into the dowel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monts

Post by Monts »

Hey thanks, that looks like something I would check into!
Monts

Post by Monts »

Those clamps look pretty good to me! Great idea.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8qAvQ5ExSE&t=9s

there are many ways to do this. For best results you need to keep the sides in the mold as you glue the top and back on
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I also use the halo system.
PicsArt_01-20-04.59.02.jpg
PicsArt_01-20-04.58.33.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
jread

Post by jread »

I currently use a home made go deck and it has worked but certainly there's room for improvement. I was considering making a large number spindle clamps this time around but cutting up a box spring mattress seems worth it if it holds like you say it does. I'll post back if I can find one and cut it up.
carld05

Post by carld05 »

I use my go-bar deck for this step. 24" rods, 28" spacing on the deck.. I've cut a floor mat to match a guitar shape about 3" wide so it fits a lot of different body shapes. This goes on the bottom so the back or top radius doesn't cause a problem. Also a similar shaped piece of thin ply protects the wood from the go-bars pressure around the edges. I'm coming up to that stage soon so I'll try to remember to take some pics.

Carl
Monts

Post by Monts »

Thanks, it seems like a lot of people like the go bar deck. It does look like the best way! Debating whether to invest in one or just buy extra cam clamps...